2205RE: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: Fwd: Conceptualizing "Collegium Equus"...feedback please?

  • Henrik Olsgaard
    Nov 8, 2004

      Hi Guys!

      Well I just got back from a too short trip to England and Denmark, late last month. And now my work situation is in flux for the next few months where I will be working most weekends. Hope I can get 12th night off!

      Anyway I saw the biggest Viking ship on the 7 seas, and it's a beauty. It sails for Dublin in 2007!

      But that's another story!

      I would like to offer a suggestion that an advanced element be focused on the real elements of mounted combat too. Keeping in mind that many equestrian games started out as practice for real life and death combat, and that most modern versions of them are no more lethal than Olympic Foil fencing is compared to Dark Age combat ( that old TV series about Vikings satrring Leif Erickson not withstanding!), I'd like to see some classes involving techniques that would really be lethal if used against another rider. Such things as power jousting for instance or duels involving elements of safety, that if removed would likely result in serious if not lethal injuries.

      The jousting that I saw at Sonora, would be a good example, as would Lord Jacque's breakaway quintain in Atenveldt. Simply tilting at an upended hay bale with a shield affixed standing on a water filled 50 gallon drum, would show a bit of how much rebound shock the jouster gets on impacting a heavy target, as well as the difficulty of getting a good grip on a shield surface if it isn't perfectly lined up. Also the different effects od where on the target the lance strikes would be more noticible since striking the bale "in the head" tips it over more easily, but striking it "in the middle" would possibly send it backwards farther. So a contest could be run to see who could "Toss the Bale" the farthest from it's starting point. Since real combats are between individuals who may be either big or little, if the rider were little, he may still have to fight a big opponant, so heavy and light bales of the same size could be randomly chosen for each rider, if desired, or weight classes could be established to give a more equal chance to smaller or less athletic riders.

      These are just some posibilities that come to mind.

      Henrik of Havn

      PS

      Tune in to THE HISTORY CHANNEL on Friday Nov. 19, at 9:30 PM (in the San Francisco area) to watch the half hour program "Command Decisions"  about William the Conquror invading England in 1066.

      Gordon and I , along with Dmitriy, get to play Norman invaders, in the background. Gordon's horses are there too!

      H.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic