2192Re: Fwd: Conceptualizing "Collegium Equus"...feedback please?

  • lightdragoon42
    Nov 4, 2004
      Ariadne;

      I think it would be great! Hopefully as you get it going, it will
      be exported to other kingdoms as well. And getting some of
      the "Heavy Fighters" in the saddle where they belong is a grand
      idea... ;o)

      Cheers!

      Gordon

      --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Natalie W." <equigal_99@y...>
      wrote:
      > Dearest hippophiles in the West....
      > Would any of you find this of interest? If we could arrange for
      overnight accommodations or crash space or camping space, and/or
      stabling, would you come?

      > FYI, day rate for horse rentals in Altavia is about $60. Working on
      a "weekend horse rental" package, fyi.

      > ~Ariadne De Glevum
      > Barony of Altavia Equestrian Guild (Caid)
      >
      > *****ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS*****
      >
      > So "Collegium Equus" is an idea that I've been noodling on for some
      time and have "bounced" off a few people in the past few months. As
      the QEC tourney is very much the focus for those of us involved in
      helping make it happen, I've not said a'much so as not to distract
      from it. However, as my noodling seems to have reached the level
      of "rumour" I wanted to just clarify that Yes!!! it's a concept in
      development....not "just" a rumour!!!

      > Below is a summary of my noodling so far...looking for a suitable
      weekend in Jan, Feb or March. Guest instructors from inside and
      outside the SCA. Will need loads of folks to make this happen...and
      lots and lots of "ground crew" too! Costs would be kept as low as
      possible but contingent on participation, number of rental horses
      used each day, etc.

      > For now, what do you think? Would something like this interest you?
      What passions do you have that you'd like to see represented/taught?
      Would you be interested in helping make this event happen?

      > ~Ariadne
      >
      > Collegium Equus is:
      > ...a 2-day program of learning about and developing medieval
      equestrian knowledge and skills. Each day would have two tracks...one
      for the "advanced" rider and/or horse owner, the other
      novice/intermediate or not-yet-authorized individual.

      > Ideas include....
      >
      > TRACK 1
      > Advanced authorizations
      > Period Cavalry Maneuvers
      > Pig Sticking technique
      > The Quintain technique
      > Tilting Rings technique
      > Heads & Reeds technique
      > Spear/Javelin technique
      > Mounted archery technique
      > How to train *your* war horse to do the games
      > Mounted combat technique & Authorization
      > Learning to joust (inc. training your horse)
      > (2nd Day) SCA Jousting clinic & Authorization
      > (2nd Day) Riding armored & accoutered
      >
      > TRACK 2
      > Riding 101: Learn to Ride (Focus on the basic "classical
      seat"...works for English or Western "styles" of riding)
      > Intro to the games
      > Authorizations: Novice & Intermediate
      > Building your own ring lance, boffer, pig sticking spear, etc.
      > Riding skills for heavies fighters
      > Intro to riding in armor
      > Intro to mounted combat
      > Groundcrew basics
      > (2nd day) Riding 201...bettering your skills
      > (2nd day) Games techniques for novice/intermediate rider
      > Authorizations: Intermediate & Advanced
      > (2nd Day) Cavalry maneuvers
      > (2nd Day) Riding armored and accoutered
      >
      > ALL
      > The "Non Competitive" period equestrian pursuits:
      > ~The Quest
      > ~"Hawking parties"
      > ~The Hunt
      > ~Mounted processions
      > ~Synchronized riding (drill team, quadrille, Pas de deux,
      Carrousel etc)
      > ~Cavalry riding technique
      > ~Camping at wars with a horse
      >
      > Make your own horse barding
      > Saddle history/Making a period saddle
      > SCA-style jousting rules, equiment & basics
      > Making a period bridle
      > Making your own games equipment
      > War Horse HistoryHistory of horse breeds
      > The gaited horse in history
      >
      > What else?
      >

      > My Website: http://socalsinglefooters.iceryder.net
      > "No hour is lost that is spent in the saddle"
      > ~Sir Winston Churchill
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic