2190Fwd: Conceptualizing "Collegium Equus"...feedback please?

  • Natalie W.
    Nov 1, 2004
      Dearest hippophiles in the West....
      Would any of you find this of interest? If we could arrange for overnight accommodations or crash space or camping space, and/or stabling, would you come?

      FYI, day rate for horse rentals in Altavia is about $60. Working on a "weekend horse rental" package, fyi.

      ~Ariadne De Glevum
      Barony of Altavia Equestrian Guild (Caid)

                                   *****ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS*****

      So "Collegium Equus" is an idea that I've been noodling on for some time and have "bounced" off a few people in the past few months. As the QEC tourney is very much the focus for those of us involved in helping make it happen, I've not said a'much so as not to distract from it. However, as my noodling seems to have reached the level of "rumour" I wanted to just clarify that Yes!!! it's a concept in development....not "just" a rumour!!!

      Below is a summary of my noodling so far...looking for a suitable weekend in Jan, Feb or March. Guest instructors from inside and outside the SCA.  Will need loads of folks to make this happen...and lots and lots of "ground crew" too! Costs would be kept as low as possible but contingent on participation, number of rental horses used each day, etc.

      For now, what do you think? Would something like this interest you? What passions do you have that you'd like to see represented/taught? Would you be interested in helping make this event happen?

      ~Ariadne

      Collegium Equus is:
      ...a 2-day program of learning about and developing medieval equestrian knowledge and skills. Each day would have two tracks...one for the "advanced" rider and/or horse owner, the other novice/intermediate or not-yet-authorized individual.

      Ideas include....

      TRACK 1
      Advanced authorizations
      Period Cavalry Maneuvers
      Pig Sticking technique
      The Quintain technique
      Tilting Rings technique
      Heads & Reeds technique
      Spear/Javelin technique
      Mounted archery technique
      How to train *your* war horse to do the games
      Mounted combat technique & Authorization
      Learning to joust (inc. training your horse)
      (2nd Day) SCA Jousting clinic & Authorization
      (2nd Day) Riding armored & accoutered

      TRACK 2
      Riding 101: Learn to Ride (Focus on the basic "classical seat"...works for English or Western "styles" of riding)
      Intro to the games
      Authorizations: Novice & Intermediate
      Building your own ring lance, boffer, pig sticking spear, etc.
      Riding skills for heavies fighters
      Intro to riding in armor
      Intro to mounted combat
      Groundcrew basics
      (2nd day) Riding 201...bettering your skills
      (2nd day) Games techniques for novice/intermediate rider
      Authorizations: Intermediate & Advanced
      (2nd Day) Cavalry maneuvers
      (2nd Day) Riding armored and accoutered

      ALL
      The "Non Competitive" period equestrian pursuits:
           ~The Quest
           ~"Hawking parties"
           ~The Hunt
           ~Mounted processions
           ~Synchronized riding (drill team, quadrille, Pas de deux, Carrousel etc)
           ~Cavalry riding technique
           ~Camping at wars with a horse

      Make your own horse barding
      Saddle history/Making a period saddle
      SCA-style jousting rules, equiment & basics
      Making a period bridle
      Making your own games equipment
      War Horse HistoryHistory of horse breeds
      The gaited horse in history

      What else?

      "No hour is lost that is spent in the saddle"
      ~Sir Winston Churchill
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic