12284King's Hunt Equestrian Camping Event in Carreg Wen April 4-6

  • Natalie W.
    Feb 5, 2014
      Greetings equestrians of Caid (and beyond)...

      Wanted to gauge the collective interest in holding an equestrian camping event at King's Hunt (held at Live Oak Camp in the Santa Ynez Valley near Santa Barbara) April 4-6.

      The Shire of Carreg Wen borders the West Kingdom's Barony of Tarnmist so I'm coping our Western cousins on this missive to gauge their interest too (even though I know the date conflicts with several Westie events....can't hurt to ask, right?)

      The site is spectacular for horses and people. Nestled in a California Live Oak forest, there are lots of trails, a large fenced arena and stabling (it's an old rodeo grounds with arena and pens). The camp site is just down the valley from Rancho Oso and backs onto the Cachuma Lake recreation area with hundreds of miles of terrific trails, wild life galore, and if the precipitation cooperates, a chance for lots of stream and river crossings. Back when I was fit and had my original knees, this site was one of my favorites for competitive trail and AERC endurance rides. It's lovely to camp in with flat ground, hot/cold showers, and electricity for hookups. With equestrian camping severely restricted at Montana De Oro and booked pretty solid at nearby Rancho Oso, this could be a terrific opportunity.

      While old-man Bo is now retired and cannot be trail-guide horse, I do still remember most of the trails and major loops and will do my best to remember them without his assistance! I would be happy to lead some trail rides if there is an interest.

      As King's Hunt is all about medieval hunting, this site and event is an excellent one for fostering mounted archery, pursuits agains the Heavies fighters who will graciously fall down dead like good little deer and boar for us when hit with our spears, etc. Would also be a good venue for another SCA Jousting training clinic, Mounted Combat clinic, Mounted crest combat or whatever else you may be interested in.

      So what say you? Fancy a camping trip with your horses to Carreg Wen? If so, please respond to this missive so I can report back to the shire on the interest level. The shire needs to make a decision about activating the equestrian insurance in the next couple of weeks.

      In service,

      THLady Ariadne De Glevo
      Erstwhile Equestrian Coordinator
      King's Hunt in Carreg Wen, April 4-6

      PS -- here's the kingdom calendar info for the event:

      King's Hunt (Carreg Wen)
      WhenFri, April 4, 1pm – Sun, April 6, 2pm
      WhereLive Oak Park in the Santa Ynez Mountains (map)
      DescriptionEvent Steward: Roderick der Gelehrte, kingshunt@carre​gwen.org
      Event Feast information: kingshuntfeast@​carregwen.org
      Event Merchant information: kingshuntmercha​nts@carregwen.o​rg
      Please check the Shire web site for updates: http://www.carr​egwen.org/event​map.html
      The King's Hunt The Shire of Carreg Wen Fri-Sun, April 4-6 2014
      The Shire of Carreg Wen would like to invite you to join them for the King's Hunt at the lovely Live Oak Park in the Santa Ynez Mountains. This is one of the first weekend events of the year and lets you ease into the camping season. On Saturday morning join a hunting party to track down wild animals. “Animals” may fight with any weapon against a “Hunter” carrying a spear, and two “Dogs” each carrying a single-handed weapon. We have also planned unique scenarios for rapier fighters. Saturday afternoon will include heavy and rapier lists for those not too tired from their morning exertions. Archery and thrown weapons will be set up to provide you the opportunity to loosen up those Winter arms and enjoy meeting and greeting friends. An A&S display is planned with a possibility of an outbreak of demos and teachers. We will also have activities for the younger folk planned throughout the day. Weather and logistics permitting there will be equestrian activities. (Please check the Shire web site for updates on all planned activities) As usual the feast that is planned for Saturday evening will be sumptuous. All that you need to do is bring your feast gear and your appetite. Don't forget that your site fee includes breakfast that will be cooked by the Shire. Weekend site fees (includes Sunday breakfast): Adults $25 for members, $30 for non members including surcharge. Children (5 to 14) discounted fee of $15 Children under 5 are guests of the Shire Saturday only: Adults $10 for members, $15 for non members including surcharge. Children (5 to 14) discounted fee of $7 Saturday evening feast: $10. The non-member surcharge will be charged for each adult entry purchased for anyone unable to present a valid proof of membership. Please make checks payable to SCA Inc. Shire of Carreg Wen. Event Steward Roderick der Gelehrte, kingshunt@carre​gwen.org Event Feast information: kingshuntfeast@​carregwen.org Event Merchant information: kingshuntmercha​nts@carregwen.o​rg Please check the Shire web site for updates: http://www.carr​egwen.org/event​map.html Directions - Central Caid: Take your best route to Highway 101, head towards Santa Barbara. Take the State Street - Highway 154 exit. Head north over the hills into Santa Ynez valley. The camp shares its entrance with Rancho San Marcos Golf Course on the right. Take a left after you've entered the driveway to the Golf Course. Directions - From CA Central and North Coasts: Take Highway 101 South to Highway 154, exit East toward Santa Barbara. After Lake Cachuma Campground, look for Rancho San Marcos Golf Course on left. Camp is a left turn once in the driveway. See map link on Shire website.

      Melius vivit qui medicinae et mechanica partes utitur