12138Equestrian Activities at Beltane

  • Nancy Reimers
    Mar 1, 2013
      Greetings all,

      I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows there will be equestrian activities at Beltane (https://www.facebook.com/events/478538732202244/) to be held at the Pitts Family Ranch in Arbuckle, CA (near 1-5 and Hwy 20)  on 5/3-5/13.  .

      This is an absolutely lovely site (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.509721582405594.117853.100001032700167&type=3) with horses that live on the property.  Water is available for horses (people should bring their own).  There is lots of room to set up portable pens, and we can run high lines between horse trailers.  There are some trees around the property that might be suitable for high lining as well.  Schedule is a little general at this point, but I wanted to make sure everyone knew we are going to ride so they could make schedule , trailer, and horsie accommodation arrangements over the next couple of months.

      For those that like to swan around and be fabulous or see the world without wearing out their shoes, the site is surrounded by hundreds of acres of foothill cattle country and will be open for riding Friday-Sunday.

      Saturday we will be having a hunt with "animals" scattered around the property.  For those who did not get a chance to ride at Gaston Phebus (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.363832540327833.86866.100001032700167&type=3), or who would like one more stab at the scary piggie (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.402727639771656.93784.100001032700167&type=3), here's your chance (brings bows and boar spears, tridents, ropes, and blunted arrows provided).  I have asked the archers to join us on the hunt and am hopeful that they might bring some additional animals for us to shoot.  The animals will be available all day so that riders can fit their May Day hunting around their Coronation obligations.  I am also planning on running a bit of formation (drill) riding on Saturday mid-day.

      Sunday am we will cover some introductory Historic Mounted Combat studies including 1) distance and space for wrestling, sword, and spear work (knee pads encouraged) 2) historic mounted wrestling drills (knee pads encouraged) 3) Introduction to Historic Mounted Long Sword Drills (Knee pads encouraged, fencing masks or equivalent and gorgets required - some loaners will be available, bring your long swords and wasters if you have them or loaner sword simulators will be available).

      If anyone is interested in rental horses for Saturday, let me know and I'll see if Jerry is interested.

      Else

      Directions: Please be aware that Google/Yahoo maps and navigation programs sometimes do not put you in the right spot. Please be sure to follow these directions after you reach I-5.

      From South (Modesto etc.): Take 99N. Take the I-80W/SF/I-5/CA99/US-50E/South Lake Tahoe exit onto US-50W towards SF/I-5/I-80/Redding. Continue on Capital City Fwy (I-80BR West.) Take the I-5/CA99/LA/Redding exit onto I-5N towards Redding. Take exit #566/Arbuckle/College City. Turn left onto Hillgate Rd. Continue on Cortina School Rd, then turn left onto Sand Creek Rd. Continue on Sand Creek Road for three miles, look for SCA signs. Please drive slowly once on Sand Creek Road, lots of potholes and wildlife!

      From East (Bay Area etc.): Get to I-80E towards Sacramento. Take exit #56/I-505N/Winters/Redding onto I-505N. Merge/continue on I-5N. Take exit #566/Arbuckle/College City. Turn left onto Hillgate Rd. Continue on Cortina School Rd, then turn left onto Sand Creek Rd. Continue on Sand Creek Road for three miles , look for SCA signs. Please drive slowly once on Sand Creek Road, lots of potholes and wildlife!

      From North (Redding etc.): Take I-5S towards Sacramento. Take exit #566/Arbuckle/College City. Turn left onto Putnam Way. Turn right onto Hillgate Rd. Continue on Cortina School Rd, then turn left onto Sand Creek Rd. Continue on Sand Creek Road for three miles, look for SCA signs. Please drive slowly once on Sand Creek Road, lots of potholes and wildlife!

      From West (Marysville etc.): Take CA-20W. Turn left onto Sycamore Cutoff Road. Turn left onto CA-45. Turn right onto Sycamore Slough Rd. Turn right onto Grimes-Arbuckle Rd. Turn left to stay on Grimes-Arbuckle Rd, then turn right to stay on Grimes-Arbuckle Rd. Turn right onto 5th St. Continue on Hillgate Rd. Continue on Cortina School Rd, then turn left onto Sand Creek Rd. Continue on Sand Creek Road for three miles , look for SCA signs. Please drive slowly once on Sand Creek Road, lots of potholes and wildlife!