Re: [We Are...Penn State] phil now 80 percent sure

  • Trader Kevin
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
      Steve:

      >>Akron is anything but a mortal lock. They will test
      our secondary and young linebackers with an innovative
      offense. Brookhart was the o-coordinator of sorts at
      Pitt for a number of years, so I'm sure this one would
      be a nice pelt for him as his first win.<<

      And he's got something to work with. Phil Steele (the
      "other" Phil) has senior Charlie Frye (6-4, 224) rated
      as the 8th-best QB in the country. They return four
      starters on the offensive line. However, they lost
      their top five receivers and leading rusher.

      Akron's defense was awful last year (30.8 points and
      406.8 yards per game), and it doesn't look to be any
      better this season.

      All that being said, a home loss to Akron would be an
      absolute embarrassment for PSU.

      Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
        Trader Kevin wrote:

        >Steve:
        >

        >>>Akron is anything but a mortal lock. They will test
        >>>

        >our secondary and young linebackers with an innovative
        >offense. Brookhart was the o-coordinator of sorts at
        >Pitt for a number of years, so I'm sure this one would
        >be a nice pelt for him as his first win.<<
        >
        >And he's got something to work with. Phil Steele (the
        >"other" Phil) has senior Charlie Frye (6-4, 224) rated
        >as the 8th-best QB in the country. They return four
        >starters on the offensive line. However, they lost
        >their top five receivers and leading rusher.
        >
        >Akron's defense was awful last year (30.8 points and
        >406.8 yards per game), and it doesn't look to be any
        >better this season.
        >
        >All that being said, a home loss to Akron would be an
        >absolute embarrassment for PSU.
        >
        >Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin

        I hadn't realized they were that depleted at the skill positions. My
        friend told me that had 9 guys back on O and I took him at his word. I
        know we'll put points up, but I thought they'd have the tools to make us
        sweat (a 34-23 kind of game where they keep coming up a little short of
        TDs's and kick FG's). If indeed they are that short of the skill
        people, we should handle them.

        Old D
      • Nittany1225
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
          I guess my fear about this game is more from the coaching angle, than anything else. Brookhart ran an interesting offense at Pittsburgh, and this will be the first time anyone ever sees anything from his Akron teams. I'm just not sure what to prepare for...but, that is what our coaches get paid to do.

          The QB is who scares me. Anyone with that kind of talent can put a team on his shoulders...I didn't know they were that depleted either, but that encourages me greatly.

          I guess this simply reflects the new state of my football experience--I'll no longer take anything, ANYTHING for granted.

          Steve

          Bob <old.dude@...> wrote:
          Trader Kevin wrote:

          >Steve:
          >

          >>>Akron is anything but a mortal lock. They will test
          >>>

          >our secondary and young linebackers with an innovative
          >offense. Brookhart was the o-coordinator of sorts at
          >Pitt for a number of years, so I'm sure this one would
          >be a nice pelt for him as his first win.<<
          >
          >And he's got something to work with. Phil Steele (the
          >"other" Phil) has senior Charlie Frye (6-4, 224) rated
          >as the 8th-best QB in the country. They return four
          >starters on the offensive line. However, they lost
          >their top five receivers and leading rusher.
          >
          >Akron's defense was awful last year (30.8 points and
          >406.8 yards per game), and it doesn't look to be any
          >better this season.
          >
          >All that being said, a home loss to Akron would be an
          >absolute embarrassment for PSU.
          >
          >Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin

          I hadn't realized they were that depleted at the skill positions. My
          friend told me that had 9 guys back on O and I took him at his word. I
          know we'll put points up, but I thought they'd have the tools to make us
          sweat (a 34-23 kind of game where they keep coming up a little short of
          TDs's and kick FG's). If indeed they are that short of the skill
          people, we should handle them.

          Old D

          Tell your Penn State friends about us! If they
          want to subscribe, have them send a message to:
          We_Are_Penn_State-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          All "We Are...Penn State" messages are archived at:

          We Are...Penn State

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Trader Kevin
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
            Trader Kevin:

            >> Akron returns four starters on the offensive line.
            However, they lost their top five receivers and
            leading rusher. <<

            Old Dude:

            >> I hadn't realized they were that depleted at the
            skill positions. My friend told me that had 9 guys
            back on O and I took him at his word. <<

            According to Phil Steele, Akron returns 6 starters on
            each side of the ball. Their project wideouts are
            Domenik Hixon, who was a starter at Free Safety last
            season, and Morris Ellington, who caught just 8 passes
            in 2003. The projected starter at Tight End had one
            reception a year ago. They graduated five players who
            between them caught 220 passes for nearly 2,900 yards
            and 16 touchdowns.

            Steele's bottom line: "Charlie Frye has a future in
            the NFL, but they will not be able to match last
            year's 7-win season." He projects them 5th (out of 7
            teams) in the MAC East.

            Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Tom Boyer
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 6, 2004
              I worry that Penn State is going to miss Rich Gardner. They're very
              thin at corner.
            • JimK
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 6, 2004
                Absolutely. And it's gotta hurt the progress of the WRs and CBs when they are the two weakest groups on the team. If at least one of the two was top notch, a few weeks of practice would make the other better. I have my grains of salt ready for when we hear how well the passing game or pass defense is doing in a few weeks.

                JimK