Ganter, cheese, heart,hope

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2004
      ORIGINET@... wrote:

      >I wanna clear something up for OD. The real fact about Fran Ganter is, it
      >was likely he was going to retire. As everyone knows Fran's wife died suddenly,
      >unexpectedly, and at relatively young age. Fran because of his loyalty for
      >Penn State bucked it up best he could and stayed the course last year. Simple
      >as that. These kinds of experiences often cause great sadness and an abrupt
      >change of perspective. He jumped at the chance to take the new job. And while
      >its kinda early, looks like this could make a big difference.

      Actually, all of the Fran info makes sense (some of us discussed this
      last year, off line). My bigger issue had to do with Jerry, who clearly
      wanted to be a head coach and, imo, expected he was going to get it at
      Penn State...and it took a lot out of him when he realized it was not
      going to happen.

      I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry said a lot of things privately about
      our S&C deficiencies that didn't sit well with Joe...but Jerry was the
      one trying to make due with smallish DT's and he had to know that if we
      had bigger people at DT in 97 we could have stopped the run (' 99 wasn't
      much of an improvement). Moreover, we never had much depth at the
      position, something Jerry had to live with many years (and was proably
      as much responsible for BBDB as anything...note how when we had Millen
      and Clarke at DT we dominated and didn't play rope-a-dope).

      The Sandusky thing can be done to death and people will disagree no
      matter what...but I wish the guy were still our DC...and he is probably
      quite pleased not to be.

      Old D
    • dave@davekroll.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004