The difference between the old and new.

  • waltbear@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2012
      Here is a quote from Coach O'Brien: "You mold the offense around the different skill sets that you have at that [QB] position, definitely."�

      The former staff (except for the M Rob year) tried to mold the QB to the PSU�offensive scheme. The results were usually underwhelming.

      Walt
    • Brian Boger
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2012
        > Here is a quote from Coach O'Brien: "You mold the offense around
        > the different skill sets that you have at that [QB] position,
        > definitely."
        >
        > The former staff (except for the M Rob year) tried to mold the QB
        > to the PSUoffensive scheme. The results were usually underwhelming.
        >
        > Walt

        Call me crazy, and my optimism not withstanding... I think I might
        wait until BOB coaches an actual football game before I start glowing
        about his coaching. Just a thought.

      • Mark.Cronmiller@continental-corporation.c
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2012
          The former staff (except for the M Rob year) tried to mold the QB to the
          PSU offensive scheme. The results were usually underwhelming.

          Walt
          -------------
          You can criticize the old staff for what you want, but,I disagree with you
          on this point.
          For the most part, the old staff tried to utilize the QB's strengths.

          Mark

        • Bob DeMarco
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2012
            You can criticize the old staff for what you want, but,I disagree with you
            on this point.
            For the most part, the old staff tried to utilize the QB's strengths.

            Mark

            I agree. As soon as Bradley became interim head coach they started using
            Drake and Belton at QB. This shows they quickly recognized the strength of
            the other two QBs, and how we could benefit by having them watch from the
            sideline.

            Bob
            Bob DeMarco
            Alzheimer's Reading
            Room<http://www.alzheimersreadingroom.com/2010/02/about-alzheimers-reading-room.html>
            http://www.alzheimersreadingroom.com

            On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM, <Mark.Cronmiller@...
            > wrote:

            > You can criticize the old staff for what you want, but,I disagree with you
            > on this point.
            > For the most part, the old staff tried to utilize the QB's strengths.
            >
            > Mark

          • Trader Kevin
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2012
              Brian Boger, May 3, 2012:

              >> Call me crazy, and my optimism not withstanding...I think I might wait until BOB coaches an actual football game before I start glowing about his coaching. Just a thought. <<

              Is six games enough?

              :)

              Story by Adam Rittenberg
              ESPiN
              October 7, 2012

              Shortly after Penn State rallied past Northwestern on Saturday for its fourth straight win, the Twitterverse began blowing up with praise for coach Bill O'Brien.

              @KirkHerbstreit: Bill O'Brien early front runner for Big 10 coach of the year with all that he and his team have had to overcome!

              @ESPNCFB: CoachOfTheDay: #PennState's Bill O'Brien. #NittanyLions won 4th straight w/ 39-28 win vs #Northwestern. Down by 11, PSU scored 22 4thQ pts

              @dennisdoddcbs: Going to go ahead and say it since PSU is off next week. Halfway through the season, Bill O'Brien. Coach. Of. The. Year.

              @BFeldmanCBS: Impressed by the grit of Bill O'Brien's guys. Started 0-2. Didn't fold. Won 3 straight. Rallied today down 11 in 4th vs an unbeaten.

              @TeddyGreenstein: Fantastic job by Bill O'Brien. His team perfectly prepared and every 4th down gamble paid off. B1G coach of the year rt now.

              @slmandel: Great win for Penn State. Bill O Brien is getting everything possible out of that offense. McGloin looks like different player.

              @KeggsnEggs: Also, hats off once again to Bill O'Brien and Penn State. What a tremendous job...

              O'Brien deserves every single tribute he's getting right now.

              He stepped into a difficult situation at Penn State in January that got even tougher in July when the NCAA hammered the program with severe sanctions, prompting an exodus of players, including standout running back Silas Redd and top receiver Justin Brown. If that wasn't enough, Penn State started the season 0-2 after a multitude of missed field goals at Virginia.

              Forget about Penn State's bleak future. The present looked gloomy as well.

              But O'Brien and his players refused to tap out. Remember when O'Brien talked this summer about how it'll be "time to punch back" at Penn State when the games begin? While many counted them out, the Lions have thrown a flurry of haymakers the past four weeks, dropping their opponents to the mat. Despite a reduced roster, Penn State is playing inspired ball on both sides of the ball, getting big lifts from linebacker Michael Mauti, quarterback Matt McGloin, wide receiver Allen Robinson, defensive end Deion Barnes and many others.

              We'll see how the rest of the season plays out for Penn State, but O'Brien, a first-time head coach, has guided the ship through the rockiest of waters so far.

              As Penn State exhales during an open week, Nittany Nation should take stock in what O'Brien has done. Remember what you've seen the past four weeks, especially in an offense that had little leadership the past few years and returned almost no firepower from 2011. Remember how O'Brien transformed McGloin from one of the Big Ten's worst quarterbacks into one of its best. Remember how O'Brien took a weakness (field goal kicking) against Northwestern and turned it into a strength (5-for-6 on fourth down). Remember how you've felt after these victories. Write it down and store it away.

              The reality is things almost certainly will get tougher for Penn State in the coming seasons. While the initial shock of the sanctions led to the roster departures, the harshest penalties--scholarship reductions--are still on the way. Although O'Brien lost some key pieces for this season, he still retained most of a senior class that featured several stars and many solid accomplished players taking the field with tremendous determination after an unfathomable offseason. That class will be gone in 2013.

              Can O'Brien keep wining at Penn State? Maybe. He has defied expectations to this point and has Penn State in the mix for the Leaders Division championship. But a coach can only do so much with 65 scholarship players in the Big Ten. Penn State's current problems in the kicking game--an area where depth or lack thereof often shows up the most--might be symptomatic of what's to come in other areas because of a reduced roster.

              This post isn't meant to depress Penn State fans. But fans can turn on a coach in a hurry when the losing begins. Penn State's administration should and will be patient with O'Brien in the coming seasons, but it's always harder for fans.

              Although the NCAA scholarship sanctions end in 2017, O'Brien might not have a full roster to work with until 2020. The current roster is as close to a complete team as he'll have at Penn State for a while. It's why he should be largely judged now rather than later. If O'Brien indeed wins Big Ten Coach of the Year--right now, he's the favorite--the award should resonate for years to come. It doesn't mean he's a nationally elite coach yet, but he's certainly a much better coach than the guy many disgruntled Penn State fans thought they were getting in January.

              O'Brien has given Penn State fans a reason to celebrate and, as the signs and T-shirts in the stands say, Billieve in the future of the program.

              That future will be tough at times, which is why O'Brien's immediate impact in Happy Valley should not be forgotten.

              http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/67829/psu-cant-forget-obriens-instant-impact
            • Michael Miller
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2012
                Nice accolades but I really could care less what any of the ESPiN aholes have to say...

                Brian Boger, May 3, 2012:

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 2012
                  Michael Miller:

                  >> Nice accolades but I really could care less what any of the ESPiN aholes have to say... <<

                  Actually, most of these guys do NOT work for ESPiN.

                  Dennis Dodd and Bruce Feldman are CBS, Teddy Greenstein is the Chicago Tribune, Stewart Mandel is Sports Illustrated, and Kegs 'n Eggs is Fox Sports.

                  Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin
                • Trader Kevin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 8, 2012
                    Another positive Tweet, this one from NBC's College Football Talk...

                    Penn State comeback gives Bill O'Brien our early Coach of the Year vote: http://wp.me/p14QTT-MGj

                    https://twitter.com/CFTalk/status/254670576197697536
                  • NittanyK
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 8, 2012