Huge upset for Men's Lacrosse: Wins at #2 Notre Dame

  • Trader Kevin
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2012
      NOTRE DAME, Ind.--Senior Matthew Mackrides (Newtown Square) scored the game-winning goal with two seconds remaining in overtime to propel the No. 20 Penn State men's lacrosse team to a 4-3 win over No. 2 Notre Dame at Arlotta Stadium on Sunday afternoon. The Nittany Lions, who broke Notre Dame's 15-game February win streak, improved to 2-1 with the victory against their highest-ranked opponent in program history.

      With the game knotted at 3-3 in the extra frame, Mackrides took the ball from behind the cage, beat the man coverage and slipped the shot past Notre Dame goalkeeper John Kemp in the waning seconds. The victory marked Penn State's first over the Fighting Irish since a 10-9 overtime win in 2002.

      http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-lacros/recaps/022612aaa.html
    • Trader Kevin
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26, 2012
        The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades...

        Penn State's recent hires

        Women's Basketball: Coquese Washington's team will be ranked in the Top Ten in tomorrow's polls.

        Men's Lacrosse: Jeff Tambroni delivered the biggest victory in school history today.

        Wrestling: Cael Sanderson won Penn State's first National Championship in more than half a century last year and is favored to repeat. (And will likely be favored to three-peat next season.)

        How can a Penn State fan not feel good about Pat Chambers and (especially) Bill O'Brien?

        Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin
      • Trader Kevin
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26, 2012
          >> Women's Basketball: Coquese Washington's team will be ranked in the Top Ten in tomorrow's polls. <<

          I forgot to mention winning the Big Ten regular season title.

          I didn't know about Coach O'Brien's mother...

          STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP)--Maggie Lucas scored 24 points and No. 11 Penn State smothered cold-shooting Minnesota to claim sole possession of the Big Ten title with a 74-51 rout Sunday.

          Penn State has won a season-high seven straight, including the last five by double digits.

          Washington said the team would get motivation from the roughly 500 breast cancer survivors and about 13,000 other fans in the stands wearing pink for the annual "Pink Zone" game to raise money for breast cancer causes.

          New football coach Bill O'Brien was sitting the courtside, too, wearing a pink shirt as he voiced his support for a charity that hit home--O'Brien told the crowd his 80-year-old mother is a two-time breast cancer survivor.

          On the court, Penn State's 13 conference wins matched the program's highest total since 2004-5.

          http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iiYf7Yad2wC0McsJ_4eCItLxceVA?docId=6af13e4be64a4cffa7b0633ac55910a9
        • B. Gates
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 26, 2012
            On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Trader Kevin <cbot_kevin@...> wrote:

            > ..
            >
            > STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP)--Maggie Lucas scored 24 points and No. 11 Penn
            > State smothered cold-shooting Minnesota to claim sole possession of the Big
            > Ten title with a 74-51 rout Sunday.

            ===

            Maggie looks like a much different player this year. She looks like a kid
            who had it in her but needed to be prodded to take the risks associated
            with creating off the dribble. They should make a deep run.

          • Trader Kevin
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27, 2012
              The latest polls make perfect sense after we won in South Bend...

              USILA Division I Coaches Poll

              9. Notre Dame (1-1)
              13. Penn State (2-1, loss was to #4 North Carolina)

              http://insidelacrosse.com/rankpoll/d1usila/2012-02-27

              Nike Division I Top 20 Poll

              10. Notre Dame
              13. Penn State