PSU lacrosse coach named assistant on National Team

  • Trader Kevin
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2012
      U.S. Lacrosse press release
      February 10, 2012

      BALTIMORE--U.S. Lacrosse has named Kevin Cassese, Dave Pietramala and Jeff Tambroni assistant coaches for the 2014 U.S. men's national team.

      Cassese, Pietramala and Tambroni join the coaching staff led by head coach Richie Meade that will lead the U.S. men's national team at the 2014 Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL) World Championships, hosted by U.S. Lacrosse and set for July 10-19, 2014, in Denver, Colo. The U.S. men's national team is seeking its 10th world championship after reclaiming the gold medal at the 2010 FIL World Championships in Manchester, England.

      "We're really pleased about the quality and number of coaches who were interested in the positions and especially about the three guys we selected to help coach the team," said Meade, who was named head coach in December 2011. "It's a very solid group. Each of the coaches is experienced, tough-minded and brings something special to the group."

      Jeff Tambroni is entering his second year as head coach at Penn State University. Prior to his arrival in State College, he spent 10 seasons as head coach at Cornell University (2001-2010), where his teams won eight Ivy League championships (2003-2010) and made three final four appearances (2007, 2009, 2010).

      In 2009, Tambroni was named the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) Coach of the Year after leading Cornell to the national championship game. His overall collegiate coaching record is 116-47, having amassed 109 wins while at Cornell.

      A 1992 graduate of Hobart University, Tambroni helped lead the Statesmen to back-to-back NCAA Division III championships (1990-91) before beginning his coaching career as an assistant at his alma mater in 1993.

      "Coach Tambroni is one of the most outstanding coaches in the game," Meade said. "He's great with offensive players and will be very good at developing schemes to highlight the great talent we have here in the U.S."

      "I want to thank Coach Meade and the committee for their time and effort in screening a deep and talented pool of applicants," said Bill Tierney, chair of US Lacrosse's Coaches Selection Committee and former U.S. men's team head coach. "My experience as a head coach of the 1998 team afforded me the opportunity to work with a great group of coaches and this was our goal for Coach Meade. Clearly, this is one of the most impressive U.S. staffs ever to be assembled. We are all looking forward to great things from them and the team in Denver in 2014."

      http://www.laxmagazine.com/teamusa/men/2011-12/news/021012_cassese_pietramala_tambroni_named_team_usa_assistants