Re: [We Are...Penn State] Very Interesting Article about the BJC

  • StevePSU
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
      I didn't say they would make it....though Jerry Palm has them in. I still think they will collapse under the lack of depth.

      Steve

      On Feb 1, 2011, at 10:07 PM, Trader Kevin <cbot_kevin@...> wrote:

      > Steve Brame:
      >
      > >> Ed is here for along time if he gets them in the tourney this year. It's the PSU way. <<
      >
      > The NCAA Tournament??? Can't see it.
      >
      > PSU is likely to end up about 16-13 (9-9). It might take an unlikely run to the Big Ten Championship Game to get there.
      >
      > Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin

    • cedarbrook205
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
        As long as no one like, say, Brooks gets hurt they should be fine....

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
          Actually Steve, on further reflection:

          As long as we don't lose anyone down low, like say Brooks, we should be fine. I mean if we lose a guard (not named Battle) then we could go to Marshall who seems to have some upside.

          In big man land we have Jones (#22), Brooks -- who has only lately started playing like he's taller than 6' 2", Jackson (who might as well be a guard) and .... well Oliver has a tiny bit of moxie.

          How I miss Ott.

          How about Oliver is our 2b option from 3 point land? Yikes.

          --- In We_Are_Penn_State@yahoogroups.com, "cedarbrook205" <bboger@...> wrote:

          > As long as no one like, say, Brooks gets hurt they should be fine....
          >
          > --- In We_Are_Penn_State@yahoogroups.com, StevePSU <StevePSU@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I didn't say they would make it....though Jerry Palm has them in. I still think they will collapse under the lack of depth.
          > >
          > > Steve
          > >
          > > On Feb 1, 2011, at 10:07 PM, Trader Kevin <cbot_kevin@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Steve Brame:

          > > > The NCAA Tournament??? Can't see it.
          > > >
          > > > PSU is likely to end up about 16-13 (9-9). It might take an unlikely run to the Big Ten Championship Game to get there.
          > > >
          > > > Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin

        • Steve Brame
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2011
            Agreed...the Brooks loss pretty much dooms this team should he be gone for
            any length of time. And, a shoulder injury in basketball can take a long
            time to heal.

            "Criminal lack of depth"...I laughed outloud when I read that in another
            post...the inside play without Brooks is really ugly. Its entirely possible
            they could lose several games in a row now.

            Loved Oliver making the tough contested 25 footer as the shot clock ran
            out...and then airballing 3 of his next 4 uncontested jumpers. Yikes...

            On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM, cedarbrook205 <bboger@...> wrote:

            > Actually Steve, on further reflection:
            >
            > As long as we don't lose anyone down low, like say Brooks, we should be
            > fine. I mean if we lose a guard (not named Battle) then we could go to
            > Marshall who seems to have some upside.
            >
            > In big man land we have Jones (#22), Brooks -- who has only lately started
            > playing like he's taller than 6' 2", Jackson (who might as well be a guard)
            > and .... well Oliver has a tiny bit of moxie.
            >
            > How I miss Ott.
            >
            > How about Oliver is our 2b option from 3 point land? Yikes.
            >
            > --- In We_Are_Penn_State@yahoogroups.com<We_Are_Penn_State%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "cedarbrook205" <bboger@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > As long as no one like, say, Brooks gets hurt they should be fine....
            > >
            > > --- In We_Are_Penn_State@yahoogroups.com<We_Are_Penn_State%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > StevePSU <StevePSU@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I didn't say they would make it....though Jerry Palm has them in. I
            > still think they will collapse under the lack of depth.
            > > >
            > > > Steve

            > year. It's the PSU way. <<

            > run to the Big Ten Championship Game to get there.

          • Trader Kevin
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2011
              Steve Brame:

              >> The inside play without Brooks is really ugly. Its entirely possible they could lose several games in a row now. <<

              They SHOULD be able to beat Michigan (13-9, 3-6) and Northwestern (13-8, 3-7) at the BJC, but without Brooks they could easily lose the other six: at Michigan State, #18 Minnesota, at #19 Wisconsin, at Northwestern, #1 The Ohio State, and at #18 Minnesota.

              Maybe they can hold serve and pull and upset to finish the regular season with a winning record (15-14).

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2011
                Trader Kevin:

                >> Without Brooks they could easily lose the other six: at Michigan State... <<

                Speaking of Sparty, has there been a bigger disappointment in college basketball this season? They were ranked 2nd in the pre-season poll, but needed overtime at home over a bad Indiana team to stay above .500 in the Big Ten at 5-4.

                They are currently 13-8 overall.

                Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin
              • ImPoster
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2011
                  Tom Izzo said on TV "We put a world of hurt on a number of teams around the Big Ten for a number of years, so now it is coming back on us!"

                  Let's just say they have the talent to win the National Championship again this year. Just like PSU football 2 years ago, before a bunch of players got caught for smoking weed and driving drunk. Maybe if their best player was actually on the court playing ball, it might make a difference.

                  I think we will see another Horace Dodd situation with Rob Bolder. He will be transferring to U of Michigan and then coming back to spank JoePa, just like Horace Dodd did with Boston College.

                • Mark.Cronmiller@continental-corporation.c
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2011
                    David Jones:

                    >> So, we have a team with a real shot to make the NCAA tournament for the
                    first time in 10 years. And where do you think they'll get to practice all
                    during February? Hardly ever on the Jordan Center rims.

                    Howard has booked Bon Jovi to practice for its upcoming tour for eight
                    days beginning Wednesday, The roadies will tear down their equipment for a
                    few hours on Sunday so that Penn State can play Michigan. Then, THON, the
                    dance-marathon charity, will take it over for three days. Then, it's two
                    days for a job fair. Then, it's another day for a banquet for a student
                    group.

                    The Nittany Lions get to shoot on their own rims for four practices all
                    month. They will practice in the auxiliary gym when they can, sharing it
                    with the women's team. But when schedules conflict, they'll actually have
                    to practice in PSU's dump of an intramural building. <<
                    Compare and contrast this with the practice facilities at other schools,
                    such as the fabulous new Melo Center at Syracuse. Why would a top recruit
                    come to Penn State to be treated like a second-class citizen?

                    Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin
                    I wonder how the Detroit Pistons were ever able to win that NBA title, and
                    go to the conf champ game for so many years in a row, when they never got
                    to practice on the court at the Palace.
                    Yes this NBA team valued at over $400 million dollars practices in a
                    facility that is not so different from PSU's IM building
                    Not to mention being able to lure that big time coach Larry Brown .... oh
                    never mind
                    Big yawn ............

                    Mark