Wannstedt out as Pitt coach

  • David Carr
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2010
      http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10341/1108955-100.stm

      Dave C.

    • Trader Kevin
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2010
        Lots of rumors about Tom Bradley to Pitt, which probably means it won't happen. Haven't we gone down this road before?

        Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin
      • Kroll, Paul D. (MSFC-IS70)[UNITeS]
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 8, 2010
          Wow, what an opportunity for Penn State to grab a great coach! NOT!

          Dave Kroll Penn State Proud
          DB2 and IMS from Soup 2 Nuts Support

          256-544-1462 (-Office-)
          210-827-1382 (-Cell-)
          256-325-6952 (-Home-)

          [cid:image003.png@01CB969F.C40D17F0]

          ,_._,___

        • Trader Kevin
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 8, 2010
            Trader Kevin:

            >> Lots of rumors about Tom Bradley to Pitt... <<

            Column by Neil Rudel
            Altoona Mirror
            December 8, 2010

            In the wake of Pitt's decision to cut ties with Dave Wannstedt, the timing could not be better for the Panthers to hire Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley.

            Though he's been on the Penn State staff for 30-plus years, Bradley grew up in Johnstown and has deep Pitt roots: His father, Sam, played basketball for the Panthers.

            Bradley spends much of his free time in Pittsburgh and has recruited western Pennsylvania for many years. Some of the WPIAL players he's taken from the Panthers' backyard include LaVar Arrington, Brandon Short, Paul Posluszny, Justin King, Stefan Wisniewski and Brian Gelzheiser.

            He applied for the job when Walt Harris was hired, and the guess here is that he'd be very interested again this time.

            Though many think he's the most logical candidate on the PSU staff to succeed Joe Paterno, Penn State has not indicated that. It has not designated Bradley or anyone else an assistant or associate head coach--the title JoePa held before succeeding Rip Engle--and there's growing sentiment that the next PSU coach will come from outside the program.

            If Pitt is worried Bradley would leave for the Penn State job sooner or later, it could stipulate a large clause in the contract that would make it financially impossible for him to do so.

            My sense is that Bradley would be thrilled to take the Pitt job, and that he'd stay there a long time.

            After all, he comes from a pedigree where it's OK to coach into your 80s.

            http://www.sungazette.com/page/content.detail/id/557349/Tom-Bradley-could-be-good-fit-at-Pitt.html
          • Mark.Cronmiller@continental-corporation.c
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 8, 2010
              That hardly qualifies as a rumor. One reporter throwing something against
              a wall, when he had nothing better to write about.
              The blogosphere is full of BS like this.
              I just don't see Bradley to Pitt. Don't see interest from either side at
              this point.

              Mark

            • Trader Kevin
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 8, 2010
                Mark Cronmiller:

                >> That hardly qualifies as a rumor. <<

                Fair enough, I will edit my statement to be "Lot's of speculation about Bradley to Pitt."

                Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin
              • ImPoster
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 8, 2010
                  None of them want to do recruiting. They all see the Death Spiral the program is in. They don't want to go through another extended Dark Era.

                  Look at next year's schedule for the guaranteed losses. Who wants to go 6-6, when they are not bringing in the highly talented players?

                  This year, they played most of the season with no Defensive End and no Tight End.

                  Programs like Wisconsin and tOSU will run all over our Defensive line next year if Still jumps to the Pros.
                • Kroll, Paul D. (MSFC-IS70)[UNITeS]
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 8, 2010
                    We all agree with you!

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 8, 2010
                      ImPoster:

                      >> None of them want to do recruiting. They all see the Death Spiral the program is in. They don't want to go through another extended Dark Era. <<

                      Thanks for forwarding this from the GatorBait board.

                      Dark Era and Death Spiral? I suppose it's possible Florida could return to something resembling the Zook Era, but this post seems a bit melodramatic.

                      Florida fans tend to be a little wacky. They drove away the best coach in their history in 2001. The Gators finished 10-2, won the Orange Bowl, and finished 3rd in the final polls, but the fans said it was a disaster.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 9, 2010
                        Yes the latest rumor in SE MI is Vandy to take over for RichRod
                        RR will be offered OC so players don't transfer en masse

                        Mark