OT: A trade I can't do

  • Trader Kevin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2010
      I want to sell March Wheat futures at the Chicago Board of Trade and buy March Wheat futures at the Minneapolis Grain Exchange. Unfortunately, my clearing house, Interactive Brokers, is not a clearing member of the MGEX.

      Chicago is currently trading at a 25-cent premium to Minneapolis. We'll monitor this paper trade.

      You may recall that the last spread I talked about was buying platinum and selling gold at parity, which worked out HUGE, several hundred dollars per ounce. CBOT vs. MGEX Wheat is a similar trade, a "quality spread."

      Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin
    • Trader Kevin
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2010
        Trader Kevin, 10AUG2010:

        >> I want to sell March Wheat futures at the Chicago Board of Trade and buy March Wheat futures at the Minneapolis Grain Exchange. Unfortunately, my clearing house, Interactive Brokers, is not a clearing member of the MGEX.

        Chicago is currently trading at a 25-cent premium to Minneapolis. We'll monitor this paper trade.

        You may recall that the last spread I talked about was buying platinum and selling gold at parity, which worked out HUGE, several hundred dollars per ounce. CBOT vs. MGEX Wheat is a similar trade, a "quality spread." <<

        This trade could now be exited at parity, a gain of $1,250 per spread. Obviously I need to move some money to a broker who clears Minneapolis.

        The wheat market is likely to continue higher and there will be more "quality spread" opportunities as the fund purchases distort relative value prices.

        Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin
      • Kroll, Paul D. (MSFC-IS70)[UNITeS]
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2010
          At some point last night Asia was up and US futures looked happy. I went to bed. Somebody did something in Asia. Europe doesn't like it either.

          So who is all going to the 'Bama game from the list other than Rocko and me?

          Dave Kroll Penn State Proud
          DB2 and IMS from Soup 2 Nuts Support

          256-544-1462 (-Office-)
          210-827-1382 (-Cell-)
          256-325-6952 (-Home-)

          >> I want to sell March Wheat futures at the Chicago Board of Trade and buy March Wheat futures at the Minneapolis Grain Exchange. Unfortunately, my clearing house, Interactive Brokers, is not a clearing member of the MGEX.

          Chicago is currently trading at a 25-cent premium to Minneapolis. We'll monitor this paper trade.

          You may recall that the last spread I talked about was buying platinum and selling gold at parity, which worked out HUGE, several hundred dollars per ounce. CBOT vs. MGEX Wheat is a similar trade, a "quality spread." <<

          This trade could now be exited at parity, a gain of $1,250 per spread. Obviously I need to move some money to a broker who clears Minneapolis.

          The wheat market is likely to continue higher and there will be more "quality spread" opportunities as the fund purchases distort relative value prices.

          Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin

        • Steve Brame
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2010
            I am...in fact, I'm staying at the Marriott Birmingham too (I'm pretty sure
            I saw someone else was staying there.) We have most of our tickets, but are
            still in the market for two.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30, 2010
              It's ME ... IT's ME... :-)

              We'll be there Friday and Saturday night. As I've mentioned, the team will be there too.

              Paul.D.Kroll@...> wrote:

              > At some point last night Asia was up and US futures looked happy. I went to
              > bed. Somebody did something in Asia. Europe doesn't like it either.
              >
              > So who is all going to the 'Bama game from the list other than Rocko and
              > me?
              >

              > Dave Kroll Penn State Proud
              > DB2 and IMS from Soup 2 Nuts Support
              >
              > 256-544-1462 (-Office-)