Re: [We Are...Penn State] What I learned Up North last weekend

  • Trader Kevin
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
      Mark Cronmiller:

      >> Met a guy that coached Trent Varva in high school. Varva was a linemen that committed to PSU 4-6 years ago, never did anything, then surprised everyone by walking away from football (all his HS coaches were shocked he gave up). Well, he had "family issues" - knocked up his girlfriend. Has been working at Home Depot. <<

      Scott tells us walking the floor at Home Depot is now an average job in Michigan. It's amazing how many gifted players piss away their talent with off-field issues.

      >> One of our former babysitters is the girlfriend of Nick Sheriden the crappy QB. <<

      Is she hot? If the skinny Tate Forcier gets injured Sheridan will be the starter again. Can you imagine Penn State starting a season with a walk-on as the second-string QB? Fans would be beside themselves.

      >> Any news on whether or not we can expect weekly updates on the prediction contest this year? And we need some arguments about the merits of the algorithms, don't we? <<

      I'll dig out the spreadsheet soon. I need to populate it with this year's schedule. The results actually got out in a timely fashion last year. All except for the post-Rose Bowl standings, which never saw the light of day. I think everyone was too disgusted to care.

      Penn State Proud, Trade Kevin
    • thelorow@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
        We're pretty close to having our backup being a walk-on, with McGloin. He
        was number 2 at the Blue-White game.

        Jerry Lorow (class of '85)

        In a message dated 8/5/2009 10:37:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        cbot_kevin@... writes:

        >> One of our former babysitters is the girlfriend of Nick Sheriden the
        crappy QB. <<

        Is she hot? If the skinny Tate Forcier gets injured Sheridan will be the
        starter again. Can you imagine Penn State starting a season with a walk-on
        as the second-string QB? Fans would be beside themselves.

      • Robert Trigilio
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
          On Aug 5, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Trader Kevin wrote:

          > Can you imagine Penn State starting a season with a walk-on as the
          > second-string QB? Fans would be beside themselves.

          Don't you think there is a very real chance that McGloin will be 2nd
          team ahead of true frosh Newsome? It may not happen, but the
          possibility exists. Either way, I won't be beside myself. I'll wait
          until Iowa or Illinois hands Clark his next concussion.

          OB

        • Tom Boyer
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
            ...and fwiw Michigan fans need to cut Sheridan some slack. He joined the Michigan team because he wanted to learn about coaching -- never expected to be anything but practice fodder. And then got pressed into duty and did the best he could. But he is not a Division 1 quarterback -- he's just a smart guy who loves the game.

            ...Not that I would mind one bit if Sheridan is the starter by the time Michigan meets PSU.

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
              On Aug 5, 2009, at 12:15 PM, Tom Boyer wrote:

              > ..and fwiw Michigan fans need to cut Sheridan some slack. He joined
              > the Michigan team because he wanted to learn about coaching -- never
              > expected to be anything but practice fodder. And then got pressed
              > into duty and did the best he could. But he is not a Division 1
              > quarterback -- he's just a smart guy who loves the game.

              I think you make a very good point. Sometimes fans (myself included)
              tend to blame poor game performance strictly on the athlete himself.
              I know I did that to Morelli. But your point that some guys are just
              not Div. 1 talents is accurate.

              When some athletes are placed in situations beyond their ability level
              (I would put Matt Senneca, Dayle Tate, and Mike Cooper in this
              category), fans like me should be more tolerant. I hope I can
              remember this post when I watch opponents throw for 400 yards on our
              inexperienced secondary this fall.

              OB

            • Trader Kevin
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
                Option Bob:

                >> Don't you think there is a very real chance that McGloin will be 2nd team ahead of true frosh Newsome? <<

                Barring an injury? No, no chance.

                Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin
              • ImPoster
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
                  http://www.playersvoice.com/latest/top-10-superstar-states.html

                • Bob DeMarco
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
                    doesn't matter to penn state. we rely on the vaccination approach.
                    bd

                    On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM, ImPoster <impnst8r@...> wrote:

                    > http://www.playersvoice.com/latest/top-10-superstar-states.html

                    Bob DeMarco
                    http://alzheimersreadingroom.com

                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
                      >>His name alone should get him a spot - Eddie Murray.<<

                      Was that a reference to the baseball player? If so, Eddie Murray was also a kicker for the Cowboys in the early 90s (I believe he played for the Eagles too, so maybe you WERE referencing the kicker, but obviously the baseball player would be the bigger name). He won at least one Super Bowl with the Cowboys. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess he didn't win any with the Eagles. I feel pretty confident in that.

                    • Mark.Cronmiller@continental-corporation.c
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
                          >>Eddie Murray the kicker, not the BB player - who was with the Detroit Lions many years before the loser Cowboys.<<

                          Wait a minute. So he played for the Lions, Eagles and Cowboys and you refer to the COWBOYS as the loser team?!