PSU, Northwestern only clean BT programs

  • Trader Kevin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
      We were talking about the Big Ten's NCAA violations the other day. I believe the vast majority of these happened before Penn State joined the conference:

      http://tinyurl.com/BigTenViolations

      Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin
    • Tom Boyer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
        Nice link.

        Well Ohio State was paying basketball players as recently as 2003. And the Fab Five scandal was still going strong in 2002.

        Only in the late 1990s did the University of Michigan begin to ask their athletes who paid for their SUVs and Mercedes.

        Now you might say those things don't count, they're only basketball. But I find it very meaningful that the big dogs of the B10 were both cutting corners in a very big way with basketball.

        Maybe the football programs had more integrity because of the traditions of Schembechler and Woody Hayes -- but why didn't that integrity extend to the entire athletic program.

        I guess all I'm saying is that the B10 is a great fit for Penn State in a lot of ways -- great academic schools, big stadiums, comprehensive sports programs, great support for women's athletics. One area where the B10 has NOT been a great fit is that bit about following NCAA rules.

        Let the conference go 10 years without a major scandal in a major sport involving one of its top programs -- THEN the B10 could hold its head high and look down its nose at the SEC. But I bet they can barely go five years between scandals.