Where are they now? (2002 Notre Dame Invitational)

  • Trader Kevin
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2006
      Blog entry by Bruce Feldman
      ESPN.com
      May 2, 2006

      In light of last weekend's NFL draft, I was curious to look
      back and see how many of those first-round guys had been
      deemed all-world back when they were in high school.

      Since there are so many different rankings, I figured it
      made the most sense to go with one list. I picked the
      roster of the 2002 U.S. Army All-American Game and figured
      it'd be interesting to check in on that bunch.

      The roster I did my research from is alphabetized by the
      colleges they chose, although as you'll see many didn't
      finish at the places they started. And, to be fair, quite a
      few still have another season to play in college.

      Two things were pretty startling: There were so many Notre
      Dame players in the game, and there are just seven who even
      made it as first-day draft picks (including Denver's pick
      last year of Maurice Clarett).

      Ra'Shawn Mosley, Arizona, RB: Now playing at Washburn
      University.

      Vickiel Vaughn, Arkansas, DB: Drafted in the 7th round by
      San Francisco.

      Jim Unis, Boston College, DL: Stopped playing for BC after
      sustaining some concussions as a freshman.

      Shadu Moore, Boston College, OL: Was a career reserve for
      BC.

      William Blackmon, Boston College, BC: Drafted in the fourth
      round by Green Bay.

      Tyler Littlehales, Colorado, WR: Nine catches in 2004
      before leaving the program.

      Andy Schaefer, Eastern Michigan, PK: Never appeared in a
      game.

      James (Buster) Davis, Florida State, LB: Starting
      linebacker at FSU.

      Kamerion Wimbley, Florida State, LB: First-round draft
      choice by Cleveland.

      Thomas Clayton, Florida State, RB: Transferred to Kansas
      State.

      Lorenzo Booker, Florida State, RB: Starting running back at
      FSU.

      Cyrus Garrett, Illinois, LB: Went undrafted after finishing
      career at N. Iowa.

      Willie Henderson, Memphis, DL: Starting OL at Memphis.

      Travarous Bain, Miami, DB: Transferred to Hampton; starting
      DB.

      Akieem Jolla, Miami, WR: Transferred to New Mexico State.

      Mike Kolodziej, Michigan, DL: Challenging for starting left
      tackle job at Michigan.

      David Richard, Michigan State, LB: Transferred to Missouri,
      then quit football.

      Marvin Byrdsong, Mississippi State, LB: Finished up at
      Northwestern State (La.); went undrafted.

      Dedrick Harrington, Missouri, DB: Starting MLB at Missouri.

      J.D. Washington, Morris Brown College, DB: Son of Denzel
      Washington who played RB at Morehouse; went undrafted, but
      signed with Rams.

      David Horne, Nebraska, RB: Went undrafted after
      transferring to Northern Iowa.

      A.J. Davis, North Carolina State, DB: Starting CB at NC
      State.

      T.A. McLendon, North Carolina State, RB: Undrafted in 2005,
      and later released by Atlanta.

      Chris Frome, Notre Dame, DL: Spot starting DL for Irish.

      Nate Schiccatano, Notre Dame, TE: Career reserve for Irish;
      went undrafted.

      Anthony Fasano, Notre Dame, TE: Drafted in the second round
      by Dallas.

      Brian Mattes, Notre Dame, DL: Career reserve OL for Irish.

      Jake Carney, Notre Dame, DB: Career reserve DB for Irish;
      went undrafted.

      Marcus Freeman, Notre Dame, TE: Backup TE for Irish.

      Scott Raridon, Notre Dame, TE: Career reserve OL for Irish;
      went undrafted.

      Bob Morton, Notre Dame, OL: Starting OL for Irish.

      James Bonelli, Notre Dame, OL: Career reserve OL for Irish;
      went undrafted.

      Maurice Stovall, Notre Dame, WR: Drafted in the third round
      by Tampa Bay.

      Rhema McKnight, Notre Dame, WR: Starting WR for Irish.

      Travis Leitko, Notre Dame, DL: Spot starting DL who is
      coming back after a year away from program (family
      matters).

      Maurice Clarett, The Ohio State, RB: Drafted in the third
      round by Denver in 2005; cut in training camp.

      Stan White Jr., The Ohio State, LB: Spot starter at
      fullback for tOSU.

      JeJuan Rankins, Oklahoma, WR: Role playing WR; went
      undrafted.

      Haloti Ngata, Oregon, DL: Drafted in the first round by
      Baltimore.

      J.R. Zwierzynski, Penn State, RB: Career backup linebacker.

      Levi Brown, Penn State, OL: Starting offenisve lineman at
      PSU.

      Mark Farris, Penn State, OL: Career backup offensive
      lineman at PSU.

      Tyler Palko, Pittsburgh, QB: Starting QB at Pitt.

      Dominic Dixon, Portland State, DB: Starting CB at Portland
      State entering senior season.

      Berkley Hutchinson, Rutgers, LB: Serving in the military.

      Josiah Vinson, Stanford, OL: Starting OL at Stanford
      entering senior season.

      Gerald Riggs Jr., Tennessee, RB: Went undrafted.

      Heath Benedict, Tennessee:, OL: Washed out at Tennessee.

      James Banks, Tennessee, QB: Booted from program.

      Rob Smith, Tennessee, OL: Undrafted free agent who signed
      with Cleveland.

      Albert Hardy, Texas, RB: Career ended by injury.

      Kasey Studdard, Texas, DL: Starting OL at Texas.

      Bryan Payne, Texas, DB: I couldn't locate anything on
      Payne.

      Aaron Harris, Texas, LB: Went undrafted.

      Justin Blalock, Texas, OL: Starting OT at Texas.

      Larry Dibbles, Texas, DL: Went undrafted.

      Marquis Johnson, Texas, WR: Finished up at Texas Tech; went
      undrafted.

      Rodrique Wright, Texas, DL: Drafted in the seventh round by
      Miami.

      Vincent Young, Texas, QB: Drafted in the first round by
      Tennessee.

      Todd Pegram, Texas A&M, K-P: Solid kicker for A&M; went
      undrafted.

      Reggie McNeal, Texas A&M, QB: Drafted in the sixth round by
      Cincinnati.

      Anthony Arline, Texas Tech, WR: Starting cornerback at
      Baylor.

      Eric McNeal, UCLA, DB: Starting linebacker for Bruins.

      Dominique Byrd, USC, LB: Drafted in the third round by St.
      Louis.

      Kyle Williams, USC, OL: Expected to start at offensive
      tackle for USC.

      Ahmad Brooks, Virginia, LB: Dismissed from team; will enter
      the supplemental draft this summer.

      Kai Parham, Virginia, LB: Went undrafted.

      Kwakou Robinson, Virginia, DL: Went undrafted.

      Ronald Darden, Virginia, DL: Spot starter for UVA; went
      undrafted.

      Johnathan Lewis, Virginia Tech, DL: Drafted in the sixth
      round by Arizona.

      Shelton Sampson, Washington, DB: Converted tailback is now
      playing cornerback for Washington.

      http://tinyurl.com/qzj47

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Trader Kevin
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2006
        Bruce Feldman:

        >> Two things were pretty startling: There were so many
        Notre Dame players in the game... <<

        I don't know why he finds this so startling. Tom Lemming
        has always used this game as leverage to try to get top
        studs to at least consider Notre Dame. Then he rewards as
        many future Domers as possible by placing them on the team.

        Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • ORIGINET@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2006
          In a message dated 5/3/2006 10:51:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          cbot_kevin@... writes:

          I don't know why he finds this so startling. Tom Lemming
          has always used this game as leverage to try to get top
          studs to at least consider Notre Dame. Then he rewards as
          many future Domers as possible by placing them on the team.

          Penn State Proud, Trader Kevin

          how many future ND players were on the squad last year?

          bobby d

        • Trader Kevin
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2006
            Trader Kevin:

            >>I don't know why Feldman finds this so startling. Tom
            Lemming has always used the U.S. Army Bowl as leverage to
            try to get top studs to at least consider Notre Dame. Then
            he rewards as many future Domers as possible by placing
            them on the team.<<

            bobby d:

            >>how many future ND players were on the squad last year?<<

            Ten, as follows:

            James Aldridge
            Matt Carufel
            Zach Frazer
            Barry Gallup
            Demetrius Jones
            Konrad Reuland
            Chris Stewart
            Bartley Webb
            Dan Wenger
            Sam Young

            http://usarmy.scout.com/a.z?s=423&p=3&blipid=14171

            BTW, one of my buddies met Sam Young at Notre Dame's
            Blue-Gold spring scrimmage and was very impressed. Said
            he's a real classy kid. I'm sorry we missed him.