Re: [We Are...Penn State] NFL Combine

  • dave@davekroll.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
      It's like the swinging chin up. Going straight up and down the most I could
      ever do was 19. I could do 35 sit ups in 30 seconds and about 100 push-ups
      back then too.

      But back to the swinging chin up. Some guy told me he could do some incredible
      number and then proceeded to use the swinging motion to do them... not the same
      thing.

      DaveK

      Quoting Mark Tomer <mtomer1@...>:

      Yeah -- it always cracks me up how many he-men in the gym fall apart

      when they have to do full reps.  Or stop bouncing.

      The scary thing is, I bet Braylon can still do more reps than most of

      our linemen.

      Mark

      On Feb 28, 2005, at 2:50 PM, Bob wrote:

      > Makes a big difference when they make the bar touch the chest rather

      > than get close.  But from a guy his size with those arms, not bad at

      > all.  Do we havy linemen that can do that?  <Half joking>

      > OD

      Tell your Penn State friends about us! If they

      want to subscribe, have them send a message to:

      We_Are_Penn_State-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      All "We Are...Penn State" messages are archived at:

      We Are...Penn State

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

    • Mark Tomer
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
        That, and very few people actually clear the bar with their chin. I
        hate doing chin ups, because I could do more when I was seven years old
        (and weighed about 50 pounds) than I can now. At least that's the way
        I remember it.

        Mark

      • ORIGINET@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
          In a message dated 3/1/2005 9:45:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          mtomer1@... writes:
          That, and very few people actually clear the bar with their chin. I
          hate doing chin ups, because I could do more when I was seven years old
          (and weighed about 50 pounds) than I can now. At least that's the way
          I remember it.

          Mark

          i just joined a gym. with the help of OD i am off to a great start.

          they have an assisted pull up machine. it is a really interesting machine if
          you are familiar with it. i could only do seven or so with 90 pounds the first
          few times. already i can do 12 smoothly. i am not killing myself. nor am i
          sore in anyway. just working on the technique. they also have a lower place
          where you can grip it around waist level. i can do 12 of those now also. i might
          actually have a chest and shoulders again.

          i'll report back in in a few months. but no doubt that machine works. when i
          get up to 3 sets of 12, soon, i will be very happy. i intend to have abs also
          by december. and hopefully i will be 25 pounds lighter with more muscle.

          amazin how when you do that stuff the fat starts burning. because i have not
          changed my shitty diet at all, not yet anyway. i am ravinously hungry at 10 o
          clock every night. and i can fell my bode eating my fat. well not tonight, i
          had pizza. got some stress right now.

          i knocked off 8 pounds in a month. i had hoped to be at 185 by the end of
          april. only seven pounds to go.

          feel free to ask me how i am doing from time to time. i need the pressure.

        • Mark Tomer
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
            Glad to hear it. Weight training is really amazing -- it is as close
            to a magic bullet as I have ever seen, especially for men. I am 37,
            and my weight has been + or - 5 pounds since I was 25. I am convinced
            that with some effort in the gym and a halfway reasonable diet, there
            is no reason why I can't stay in similar shape into my 60's.

            I've seen that machine -- it's a good one. I happen to use a Hammer
            Strength machine for pull downs. I just really like the Hammer
            Strength stuff. And I can never keep my body still doing pull ups.

            Mark

          • dave@davekroll.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
              My numbers were counts from my final PT exam at Parris Island in '63. Since I
              was about 180 then and I'm closer to 280 now...

              Hey, I'm off to look at houses in Huntsville again today after the morning NASA
              status meeting. The realtor is showing me in the morning and afternoon. We
              are meeting his bud, who is buying, for lunch. His bud is also a partner in a
              local mortgage company who has really good rates. We're playing golf this
              weekend with another friend of theirs who owns a local contracting company that
              restores older homes. Don't you just LOVE the way things work in the South.

              It reminds me of the first home Wife and I bought in West Chester, Pa. in 1969.
              The current owner took me over to some West Chester bank on High Street and
              introduced me to his bud who gave me a 5% loan. That was a GREAT rate in 1969.
              Well, the rate I've been quoted for this buy is less than that. I think PNB
              bought that bank out a few years later.

              DaveK

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                In a message dated 3/2/2005 6:41:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                mtomer1@... writes:
                I am 37,
                and my weight has been + or - 5 pounds since I was 25. I am convinced
                that with some effort in the gym and a halfway reasonable diet, there
                is no reason why I can't stay in similar shape into my 60's.
                lets see. when i was 21 i weighed 172. went up to 185. got motivated in 1980
                and went down to a consistent 157. by 1988 i was 196, made a big bet and lost
                down to 167 from july 11th to sept 30. went back up to 206 by 1995. got on a
                walking jag and walked myself down to a consistent 175-178 for five years. went
                back up over 200 this time. right now about 190.

                i never used weights before. just fixed my diet and ran or walked it off.
                this time i am in a gym. it will be interesting to see what happens by say
                december. so far so good.

                i think you could stay around the same weight. but like most will tell ya, as
                you get older it gets tougher simply due to ageing and metabolism. you stay
                within 10 pounds of where you were, you da man.

                bobbyd

              • Steve Brame
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                  I'm 30 years old (6 feet even) and have been 185 for going on 9 years
                  now. I fluctuate really between 180-185. I've never consistently
                  been in to the 190's. Now, I'm working on trying to firm up the
                  mid-section and increase cardiovascular health.

                  My wife has this Pilate's machine, that is a wicked pain in the a**.
                  I like using it (eventhough I think most men would say I'm a
                  girl)...its emphasis on flexability and finding areas that are often
                  used is what has me using it. I think it will help me become a more
                  consistent striker of the golf ball.

                  My wife can lose weight whenever she wants to. I've seen friends
                  struggle at it for years. I'm morally convinced that weight increases
                  have this countries mortality rate earlier than it should
                  be--eventhough we live longer, think about how much longer it could be
                  if everyone was in their healthy weight level and cardiovascularly
                  healthy.

                  Steve

                  --
                  ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
                  `6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                    That's the beauty of lifting -- it keeps the metabolism high, as muscle at rest burns calories 24 hours a day. I'm convinced that slowing metabolism is largely due to a lack of activity and reduced muscle mass. So far all I have is anecdotal evidence, but I see plenty of guys in their 40's and 50's at the gym who are in great shape. Coincidentally, they are the ones who are in consistently and do some real lifting (as opposed to the "pushing weights" that most people do).

                    Mark

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                      In a message dated 3/2/2005 1:15:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      StevePSU@... writes:
                      My wife has this Pilate's machine, that is a wicked pain in the a**.
                      I like using it (eventhough I think most men would say I'm a
                      girl)...

                      i wouldnt. i am in beginner pilates one time a week. it is tremendous. yeah
                      tough to learn the moves so you can do them correctly. once you get all the
                      moves down and do them correctly they let you graduate to the advanced which
                      believe me those people "rave" about it. just watching them blows me away. even
                      the beginner class, you feel like a million ten minutes after it is over.

                      there is no doubt you will improve your golf game. why do you think curt
                      shilling and TO are so good? well in some great part to pilates. they were two of
                      the first athletes to adopt it. man your hips are gonna get so flexible you
                      are gonna fell like a 16 year old.

                      it really builds core stenght. which translates into better coordination,
                      flexibility, amongst several benefits. next year watch. when most receivers hit
                      the dirt to catch a low ball, TO just bends over in half and catches it then
                      makes a play. the flexibility part has really helped schilling, think about it.
                      it allows him to keep near perfect balance while driving much harder off the
                      rubber.

                      the key word up there is core strenght. this is what allows wideouts to
                      adjust to errant throws and stay balanced during the catch. think our guys could
                      use pilates?

                      bobbyd

                    • ORIGINET@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                        In a message dated 3/2/2005 2:44:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        mtomer1@... writes:
                        That's the beauty of lifting -- it keeps the metabolism high, as muscle at
                        rest burns calories 24 hours a day. I'm convinced that slowing metabolism is
                        largely due to a lack of activity and reduced muscle mass.

                        well you just described me. although i am trying to do something about it. by
                        the age of 60, six years, i should be looking really good. in fact i intend
                        to be in better shape then i was at 30. hopefully.

                        you are right about the gym and how those people look. we got 70 year olds
                        working out down here, say what you want, they have good muscles. the women down
                        here are way way in shape. and i take my mom around noon and i am amazed how
                        many unreal shaped women there are in there with their kids in the kids room.
                        married women in shape like you cant believe.

                        watching them work out helps get me motivated to go. unfortunately they are
                        not in there at 7 AM.

                        bobbyd

                      • dave@davekroll.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                          I was 180 out of boot camp at 18.
                          I was 175 out of the Corps at 22.
                          I was 180 getting married at 23.
                          I was 190 when Wife got pregnant at 33.
                          I grew to about 230 as she grew. (still 33)
                          I got back to 190 at Valero Energy at 40
                          Steadly growing heaver until... a topout weight of about 330... 55
                          Slowing shrinking... just weighed in at 272. 60

                          DaveK

                          Quoting ORIGINET@...: