Re: [We_Are_Penn_State] Bad draw for PSU

  • Rob Polinsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2003
      On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, CBOT Kevin wrote:
      > If the 4th-seeded Lady Lions manage to get past Holy
      > Cross and South Carolina or UT-Chattanooga, they'll
      > play AT Tennessee in the Mideast Regional Semi-Final.
      > Fun.

      It's not only a bad draw, Penn State's 3rd leading scorer (Jess Brungo) is
      injured and questionable for next weekend's games. In the latest AP poll,
      Penn State is ranked #15 and South Carolina is ranked #16. It will be
      awfully difficult, even at home, to beat South Carolina without Brungo.
      Let alone Tennessee.

      > Tennesse isn't the only school who can sleep in their
      > own beds all the way to the Final Four. 3rd-seeded
      > Stanford and 6th-seeded New Mexico could also
      > potentially host four games.

      They could, but they won't. The West is loaded this year with four top
      10 ranked teams among the top five seeds. Stanford, even at home, was
      given a very difficult task. Tennessee seems to have a mild bracket,
      given that there are no other top 10 ranked teams in their bracket and
      that the 2-3-4-5 seeds have all had one or more games where they lost by
      19+ points on the road against a top 10 team this year.

      The perecption of women's basketball is that it's Tennessee, Connecticut
      and everyone else. The selection committee did nothing to change that
      perception in giving UConn and Tennessee easier paths than all of the
      other contenders.

      http://www.nauticom.net/users/robbie -- Music, Sports, Life & More!
      LADY LION BASKETBALL (24-8) * 1994-1995-2000-2003 * Top Playback Score '03
      AP: #14 USA: #15 WB: #13 * Big Ten Champions * January 11 -- 34,872
    • nittanykat@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17, 2003
        In a message dated 03/17/2003 6:27:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        robbie@... writes:

        > The perecption of women's basketball is that it's Tennessee, Connecticut
        > and everyone else.

        Um... aren't you forgetting Duke, who has been number 1 or 2 in every women's
        poll all year?

        PSU did get royally screwed in the brackets for the women's tourney. There
        is no way that the regular season champ gets a 4 and the tourney champ gets a
        2. But we have a history of underachieving in the big tourney and maybe that
        is reflected. Who knows?