JoePa, Bobby Bowden, and coaching longevity

  • CBOT Kevin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2003
      Interesting excerpt from a story by Shelly Anderson in
      yesterday's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

      "Both of us coach because we love it," said Bowden,
      who previously coached at West Virginia. "Neither one
      of us has to stay in it. But I'd rather do it than
      retire. There'll be a time when I have to retire
      because of my health or if we would get into a losing
      funk. I don't believe I could handle that."

      Paterno said he began to think seriously about a
      retirement timetable after back-to-back losing seasons
      in 2000 and 2001. But the Nittany Lions made it to a
      New Year's Day bowl this past season, and Paterno felt
      differently when he met with a financial adviser in
      December. Now, he's convinced he wants to coach at
      least through the 2006 season and maybe for as long as
      2011.

      --END--

      http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/psu/20030302coaches0302p4.asp

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/