8718 knob removal

  • bobbetts06
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009
      Hello All:
      Can someone tell me what kind of set screws are used on the main tuning knob for the 8716 or 8718?
      I'm changing the encoder, and this has me stumped. I've tried allen keys, English and Metric, and slotted and phillips drivers as well. I can't really see way down in there - could it be a Bristol slot?
      Gee, all the servicing that I do, and now I can't even get the stupid knob off -- do I need new glasses?
      Thanks in advance,
      Bob
    • Osamu Hazawa
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009
        Hi Bob,

        I used a 1/16 '' allen (hex) wrench and it worked fine with my WJ-8718.
        Hope this helps,

        Osamu

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009
          Can someone tell me what kind of set screws are used on the main tuning knob for the 8716 or 8718?
          I'm changing the encoder, and this has me stumped. I've tried allen keys, English and Metric, and
          slotted and phillips drivers as well. I can't really see way down in there - could it be a Bristol
          slot?

          ---------------

          I just fitted a standard 1/16 th inch allen to my 8716 main tuneing knob.

          it's close to an inch deep before you touch the setscrew so you might need a longarm allen

          -------------------------------------

          Jon-FL StarChat IRC Network channels #wunclub and #monitor
          (2x Icom IC-R75, Icom R8500, Racal RA6790/GM, WJ-8716, BCD996T,
          AOR ar-8200-MK3, GE Superadio III, t2fd, D130NJ discone)
        • Baruch Zilbershatz
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
            --- In Watkins-Johnson@yahoogroups.com, "bobbetts06" <rwbetts@...> wrote:

            > Hello All:
            > Can someone tell me what kind of set screws are used on the main tuning knob for the 8716 or 8718?
            > I'm changing the encoder, and this has me stumped. I've tried allen keys, English and Metric, and slotted and phillips drivers as well. I can't really see way down in there - could it be a Bristol slot?
            > Gee, all the servicing that I do, and now I can't even get the stupid knob off -- do I need new glasses?
            > Thanks in advance,
            > Bob

            it's an allen regular stuff...
          • Baruch Zilbershatz
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
              --- In Watkins-Johnson@yahoogroups.com, "bobbetts06" <rwbetts@...> wrote:

              > Hello All:
              > Can someone tell me what kind of set screws are used on the main tuning knob for the 8716 or 8718?
              > I'm changing the encoder, and this has me stumped. I've tried allen keys, English and Metric, and slotted and phillips drivers as well. I can't really see way down in there - could it be a Bristol slot?
              > Gee, all the servicing that I do, and now I can't even get the stupid knob off -- do I need new glasses?
              > Thanks in advance,
              > Bob

              Why do u change encoder?
            • Bob Betts
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
                Thanks to all who replied. I thought I remembered using an Allen hex last time. Maybe the screw socket hole is cluttered with junk - but I just couldn't get the wrench in.
                I'll give it a better try now that I know the answer.
                Thanks you all,
                Bob

                Music, Audio, Radio
                "It's all good."

                ------------ ---

                ------------ --------- --------- -------

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
                  Hi:
                  The encoder is bad so I put a new one in. I'll discect the old one and see what's up inside there, and report back.
                  Thanks to all who responded about the tuning knob. Yes, it really was a 1/16" allen screw, but the screws were so rusted that the wrench wouldn't fit in the holes, s I finally ground a taper to the wrench to seat it, and got the knob off. I replaced the hardware with stainless screws. I have no idea as to this radio's history or why the rust is there.

                  Now, another question: before I break anything, does anyone know how to remove the switch caps from the (Schadow) switches? I thought they were like the Switchcraft versions, friction fit, but they don't seem to be. They are not very robust, so I really don't want to break anything   ;-)   Maybe there's a locking tab somewhere that I'm not seeing? Or maybe they are just stuck on there...from old age?
                  Thanks in advance,
                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 23, 2009
                    Hello Everyone:
                    Well, I fiddled around a bit and tried to remember how I got the switch caps off last time (it's been many years). Then I remembered a similar situation we had at the factory. The caps and the sockets they snap into are different types of plastic. Over time, and with varying temperatures and various contaminants, the two materials migrate a bit and become somewhat welded together.
                    I Put a drop of mineral spirits down inside the the cap (from the back) with a hypodermic syringe and let them sit over night. The next day I made a little tool from spring steel (like a hacksaw blade)  which resembles a 2-pronged fork with a notch I ground to a little wider than the switch shaft. With some gentle prying I was able to pop the buttons off. Just a warning, but as these things age, the shaft to the switches becomes brittle. My particular example must have seen some severe environmental conditions, since the oxidation was very apparent. I actually had to replicate a new shaft for the power switch from styrene stock, which had completely failed ... literally crumbuled..
                    Also, the lenses on the switch caps can be buffed with plastic abrasive and finished with a silicone lube (or Armour All) to restore them to like-new.
                    Sorry, it wasn't a short story, but I figured if one guy could benefit during a restoration or repair,then it may be noteworthy. Besides, there's not many radios prettier than a like-new 8718A -- just an opinion.
                    Good signals to all,
                    Bob
                    Music, Audio, Radio
                    "It's all good."