DR. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam 's Speech - think about it

  • DTS REDDY
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2008
      Please read this article by giving 10 minutes from your busy life.

      As the President of India
      DR. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam 's Speech in Hyderabad some time back......
      It  really shows how this great man thinks about his(our) country...

      Why is the media here so negative?
      Why are we in India so embarrassed to recognize our own strengths, our
      achievements? We are such a great nation. We have so many amazing success
      stories but we refuse to acknowledge them. Why?
      We are the first in milk production.
      We are number one in Remote sensing satellites.
      We are the second largest producer of wheat.
      We are the second largest producer of rice.

      Look at Dr. Sudarshan , he has transferred the tribal village into a
      self-sustaining, self-driving unit. There are millions of such achievements
      but our media is only obsessed in the bad news and failures and disasters. I
      was in Tel Aviv once and I was reading the Israeli newspaper. It was the
      day
      after a lot of attacks and bombardments and deaths had taken place. The
      Hamas had struck. But the front page of the newspaper had the picture of a
      Jewish gentleman who in five years had transformed his desert into an orchid
      and a granary. It was this inspiring picture that everyone woke up to. The
      gory details of killings, bombardments, deaths, were inside in the
      newspaper, buried among other news.

      In India we only read about death, sickness, terrorism, crime. Why are we so
      NEGATIVE? Another question: Why are we, as a nation so obsessed with foreign
      things? We want foreign T. Vs, we want foreign shirts. We want foreign
      technology.

      Why this obsession with everything imported. Do we not realize that
      self-respect comes with self-reliance? I was in Hyderabad giving this
      lecture,
      when a 14 year old girl asked me for my autograph. I asked her what her goal
      in life is. She replied: I want to live in a developed India . For her,
      you and I will have to build this developed India . You must proclaim. India
      is not an under-developed nation; it is a highly developed nation. Do you
      have 10 minutes? Allow me to come back with a vengeance.

      Got 10 minutes for your country? If yes, then read; otherwise, choice is
      yours.
      YOU say that our government is inefficient.
      YOU say that our laws are too old.
      YOU say that the municipality does not pick up the garbage.
      YOU say that the phones don't work, the railways are a joke,
      The airline is the worst in the world, mails never reach their destination.
      YOU say that our country has been fed to the dogs and is the absolute pits.

      YOU say, say and say. What do YOU do about it?
      Take a person on his way to Singapore . Give him a name - YOURS. Give him a
      face - YOURS. YOU walk out of the airport and you are at your International
      best. In Singapore you don't throw cigarette butts on the roads or eat in
      the stores. YOU are as proud of their Underground links as they are. You pay
      $5 (approx. Rs. 60) to drive through Orchard Road (equivalent of Mahim
      Causeway or Pedder Road) between 5 PM and 8 PM. YOU come back to the parking
      lot to punch your parking ticket if you have over stayed in a restaurant or
      a shopping mall irrespective of your status identity...
      In Singapore you
      don't say anything, DO YOU? YOU wouldn't dare to eat in public during
      Ramadan, in Dubai . YOU would not dare to go out without your head covered
      in Jeddah . YOU would not dare to buy an employee of the telephone exchange
      in London at 10 pounds ( Rs.650) a month to, 'see to it that my STD and ISD
      calls are billed to someone else.'YOU would not dare to speed beyond 55 mph
      (88 km/h) in Washington and then tell the traffic cop,
      'Jaanta hai main kaun hoon (Do you know who I am?). I am so and so's son.
      Take your two bucks and get lost.' YOU wouldn't chuck an empty coconut shell
      anywhere other than the garbage pail on the beaches in Australia and New
      Zealand .

      Why don't YOU spit Paan on the streets of Tokyo ? Why don't YOU use
      examination jockeys or buy fake certificates in Boston ??? We are still
      talking of the same YOU. YOU who can respect and conform to a foreign system
      in other countries but cannot in your own. You who will throw papers and
      cigarettes on the road the moment you touch Indian ground. If you can be an
      involved and appreciative citizen in an alien country, why cannot you be the
      same here in India ?

      Once in an interview, the famous Ex-municipal commissioner of Bombay , Mr.
      Tinaikar , had a point to make. 'Rich people's dogs are walked on the
      streets to leave their affluent droppings all over the place,' he said. 'And
      then the same people turn around to criticize and blame the
      authorities for inefficiency and dirty pavements. What do they expect the
      officers to do? Go down with a broom every time their dog feels the pressure
      in his bowels?

      In America every dog owner has to clean up after his pet has done the job.
      Same in Japan . Will the Indian citizen do that here?' He's right. We go to
      the polls to choose a government and after that forfeit all responsibility.
      We sit back wanting to be pampered and expect the government to do
      everything for us whilst our contribution is totally negative. We expect the
      government to clean up but we are not going to stop chucking garbage all
      over the place nor are we going to stop to pick a up a stray piece of paper
      and throw it in the bin. We expect the railways to provide clean bathrooms
      but we are not going to learn the proper use of bathrooms.

      We want Indian Airlines and Air India to provide the best of food and
      toiletries but we are not going to stop pilfering at the least opportunity.
      This applies even to the staff who is known not to pass on the service to
      the public. When it comes to burning social issues like those related to
      women, dowry, girl child! and others, we make loud drawing room
      protestations and continue to do the reverse at home. Our excuse? 'It's the
      whole system which has to change, how will it matter if I alone forego my
      sons' rights to a dowry.' So who's going to change the system?

      What does a system consist of ? Very conveniently for us it consists of our
      neighbours, other households, other cities, other communities and the
      government. But definitely not me and YOU. When it comes to us actually
      making a positive contribution to the system we lock ourselves along with
      our families into a safe cocoon and look into the distance at countries far
      away and wait for a Mr.Clean to come along & work miracles for us with a
      majestic sweep of his hand or we leave the country and run away.
      Like lazy cowards hounded by our fears we run to America to bask in their
      glory and praise their system. When New York becomes insecure we run to
      England . When England experiences unemployment, we take the next flight out
      to the Gulf. When the Gulf is war struck, we demand to be rescued and
      brought home by the Indian government. Everybody is out to abuse and rape
      the country. Nobody thinks of feeding the system. Our conscience is
      mortgaged to money.

      Dear Indians, The article is highly thought inductive, calls for a great
      deal of introspection and pricks one's conscience too.... I am echoing J. F.
      Kennedy 's words to his fellow Americans to relate to Indians.....

      'ASK WHAT WE CAN DO FOR INDIA
      AND DO WHAT HAS TO BE DONE TO MAKE INDIA
      WHAT AMERICA AND OTHER WESTERN COUNTRIES ARE TODAY'

      Lets do what India needs from us.

      forward this mail to each Indian you know
      for a change .......
      atleast in attitude....