262First Food

  • CSE
    Jul 29, 2013
     Dear Friend,

     CSE comes to you with a unique offering of its first book on some of the famous but forgotten recipes from across the length and breadth of India. This book is beautifully presented with unbelievably true to life photographs, page after page.

     Food is about culture and, most importantly, about biodiversity. Each region of India, indeed the world, is diverse in its food habits. It has its own recipes; it cooks with different ingredients; it eats differently. This is not by design.

     Most are specific to the ecosystem they grow in. This richness of variety resulted in culinary methods that were equally diverse and equally rich. If biodiversity disappears we will lose the food wealth on our plates. Food will become impersonal. It will become a sterile package designed for universal size and taste.

     It is for this reason that the Centre for Science and Environment and Down To Earth decided to put together a compendium of recipes that originate in different regions and plants. This colourful book is an attempt to celebrate the knowledge of plants and their properties; how to best cook them to bring out their flavours and smells.

     We hope you will share our passion for food that brings back this connection — between our stomach, our kitchen, our life and the world around us. We hope you will cook these recipes and enjoy their taste. We hope you will join us in learning more about ways to build biodiversity in our world.

     HOW TO GET

     You can choose any of the following options:

     1. Online:
     Please visit: http://csestore.cse.org.in/books/anil-agarwal-readers/first-food.html

     2.You can also send a Cheque/DD for Rs 950/-, drawn in favour of Centre for Science and Environment, payable at New Delhi, to the following address.

     Centre for Science and Environment
     41, Tughlakabad Institutional Area, New Delhi-110 062

     A detailed brochure is also attached.

     Yours sincerely,

     T R Ramachandran
     Deputy General Manager