Re: [WardOneDC] Judges, Youth Violence, The System . . . and "the seniors"

  • ANC 1C06
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2010

      "The seniors have given up due to fear and lack of options even for themselves.  "

      Not all seniors have given up, in spite of ageism and much of society giving up on seniors.  Forget not that the up and coming seniors are people who grew up in the Civil Rights Era and the Antiwar Movement, especially DC seniors.  They're only beginning to get their bearings in the world of being passed by.  Seniors can  and will  do a lot to prevent the violence that's plaguing our community, when society stops counting them out.  To start with, an intergenerational dialogue between the perpetrators of the violence and the grandmothers and grandfathers who have lived and raised families in DC  and survived in communities wracked by violence.    What seniors have in common is expertise in parenting and institutional knowledge of the community.   Stop counting seniors out!  It's insidious ageism.

      The problem needs a holistic approach for an effective and lasting solution.  Starting with this community dialogue, will the leadership move it forward to a community forum?   Do our councilman and his illustrious opponents in this year's election, or Ward One ANCs and other community leaders care about what we want in anticrime legislation enough to call us together and ask us?  It's clear the community has a lot to say about it.  Who will move it forward holistically?

      The Struggle Continues,

      Nancy Shia, Commissioner
      ANC1c06

      From: nathan boggs <nathanmboggs@ yahoo.com>
      To: Jim@grahamwone. com, Lee.Satterfield@ dcsc.gov, WardOneDC@yahoogrou ps.com
      Cc: Leah.Gurowitz@ dcsc.gov, mintwood-place@ lists.mutualaid. org, AdamsMorgan@ yahoogroups. com, ustreetnews@ yahoogroups. com, WardOneDC@yahoogrou ps.com, jdetaeye@dccouncil. us, pmendelson@dccounci l.us, twells@dccouncil. us, cathy.lanier@ dc.gov, jacob.kishter@ dc.gov, mpd-3d@yahoogroups. com, jevans@dccouncil. us
      Date: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 8:17 PM

      Have we capitulated on trying to SOLVE the problem?  All I hear is more beds, more probation officers.  That doesn't solve the problem.  In all the emails going back and forth, I have not seen much mention of the parents.  These are YOUTH as we love to call them.  What do the parents have to say?  How could they not be involved at all in this process?  How could they not care enough to show interest in how the system, as advocated by the people on this board, will deal with their children?

      One thing is for sure: if you don't care enough to solve the problems that affect you, others will step in and attempt to solve them for you.  Only thing is they will have little interest in how the solutions affect you.

      Let's be honest.  This legislation will primarily affect black kids.  If the black people don't show enough interest to care, they can't expect anyone else to have their best interests at heart.

      Nathan Boggs

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
        We have all been saddened by the horrific drive by shooting in the 4000
        block of South Capitol Street Wednesday night. Where four people were
        killed and five others wounded in a drive-by massacre.

        The suspected driver behind the wheel was just 14 years old. The WaPo
        notes: 'The 14-year-old suspect, charged as a juvenile with
        first-degree murder, made his initial court appearance at a hearing
        that was closed to the public....Wearing a hooded jacket, the youth
        stood in shackles in the courtroom and was ordered held in a juvenile
        detention center until a court hearing April 7. Superior Court Judge
        Elizabeth C. Wingo noted that the youth has nine previous convictions
        on charges including assault and theft and had been placed in the
        custody of the Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services six times.
        Court officials said the youth had fled from detention at least twice
        and had walked away without permission from DYRS custody before
        Tuesday's attack.'
      • nathan boggs
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
          Has anyone interviewed this teen's mother?  Where was she when her son was being arrested 8 previous times?  Were her cries for help overlooked?  Did she try to get help for her son and get lost in the bureaucracy?  If, like Banita Jacks, she had killed her son, we would be blaming someone in DCFS.  Why not ask the tough questions when her son has killed someone?

          How can we even try to solve this problem without bringing in the mothers of these wayward kids?   Let's find out why she let her son hang out with grown men.  Let's find out where the father is.  Not to pass judgment.  But maybe to get him more involved in the child's life.

          I know one thing.  If the people most likely to get arrested don't come together to solve the problem, someone WILL solve it for them.

          Nathan Boggs

        • Abouie1201@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
            Chalk up another $123,000 for juvenile facilities and detention cost per child. Versus $19,000 per student in DCPS.