RE: Re[2]: [WardOneDC] RE: [NCHCA] Threats to our Historic Neighborhoods

  • John Goldman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 11, 2004
      Variances for zoning restrictions are only given through a lengthy
      appeals process. This process includes approval from the local ANC. If
      a variance was given to build over 60% lot occupancy in a R4 area, then
      your neighbors approved it!

      Historic neighborhoods already protect the façades of the properties.
      You can't even change the windows or a door without getting it approved
      through the historic preservation system. So maybe the best thing to do
      is to create more historic neighborhoods??

      " I am considering introducing legislation to place a moratorium on
      demolitions in our neighborhoods of any building that is more than 50
      years old, that is adjacent to a vacant lot."

      So now when there is a failing decrepit building that happens to be next
      to a vacant lot, the blight will be prolonged?

      Message 2 of 12 , May 11, 2004
        Er, I would really like to believe that, but you can't honestly expect
        the average resident to be protected by the city simply because this
        is the way it *should* work. A variance will be issued when someone
        gets the right amount of money or a relationship is exercised. It
        happens all the time.

        The problem is, when the law appears to have been broken, it is up to
        an individual to fight a developer with lots of money and lots more at
        stake. While someone with enough perserverance, time and money might
        prevail, why would we wish that upon anyone?

        I can't comment on this proposed legislation since this is not much
        detail, but there is very little reason in my mind to demolish
        historic structures unless they are structurally unsound. In the 9
        years I have lived in Mt. PLeasant I've seen dozens of abandoned
        houses be gutted and renovated and not a brick was removed from the
        outside.

        -- Jamie

        Message 3 of 12 , May 11, 2004
          This is my point exactly!

          The real problem here is a corrupt and inefficient city apparatus. Why
          create more regulations and laws when we can't even enforce the ones we
          have on the books already??

          I happen to be a developer myself and I've operated in historic
          neighborhoods preserving while profiting. It is possible.

          mpms3213@...; rroach@...; 'Lisa Raisner'; 'Victoria Aronoff';
          'Josh Meyer'; 'Gideon Aronoff'; 'Victoria Gideon Aronoff'; 'Sweets';
          13th-14th-irving-kenyon@...;
          taskforce@...; 'Adams Morgan'; 'ColHts1'; 'Columbia
          Heights'; 'floridaavenuewatch@yahoo. com'; 'HolmeadVillage';
          'LeDroitPark'; 'Mintwood'; 'Monroe Street'; 'Mt Pleasant'; 'MtPForum';
          'PSA411 '; 'PSA414'; 'ThirdDistrictCAC'; 'Ustreet'
          Subject: Re[4]: [WardOneDC] RE: [NCHCA] Threats to our Historic
          Neighborhoods

          Er, I would really like to believe that, but you can't honestly expect
          the average resident to be protected by the city simply because this
          is the way it *should* work. A variance will be issued when someone
          gets the right amount of money or a relationship is exercised. It
          happens all the time.

          The problem is, when the law appears to have been broken, it is up to
          an individual to fight a developer with lots of money and lots more at
          stake. While someone with enough perserverance, time and money might
          prevail, why would we wish that upon anyone?

          I can't comment on this proposed legislation since this is not much
          detail, but there is very little reason in my mind to demolish
          historic structures unless they are structurally unsound. In the 9
          years I have lived in Mt. PLeasant I've seen dozens of abandoned
          houses be gutted and renovated and not a brick was removed from the
          outside.

          -- Jamie

          Tuesday, May 11, 2004, 9:07:49 AM, you wrote:

          JG> Variances for zoning restrictions are only given through a lengthy
          JG> appeals process.  This process includes approval from the local
          ANC.  If
          JG> a variance was given to build over 60% lot occupancy in a R4 area,
          then
          JG> your neighbors approved it!

          JG> Historic neighborhoods already protect the façades of the
          properties.
          JG> You can't even change the windows or a door without getting it
          approved
          JG> through the historic preservation system.  So maybe the best thing
          to do
          JG> is to create more historic neighborhoods??

          JG> " I am considering introducing legislation to place a moratorium on
          JG> demolitions in our neighborhoods of any building that is more than
          50
          JG> years old, that is adjacent to a vacant lot."

          JG> So now when there is a failing decrepit building that happens to be
          next
          JG> to a vacant lot, the blight will be prolonged?
        • Tyler Wilkins
          Message 4 of 12 , May 11, 2004
            Mr. Goldman brings up a number of good points.

            Although everyone wants to preserve the unique aesthetics of any given
            neighborhood, legislators should be forewarned: the more restrictions
            placed on developers, the less investment a neighborhood will receive.
            Certainly everyone wants to regulate development so that there is never
            an opportunity for the 'evil' developer to build a monstrosity of a
            structure in an otherwise pristine/attractive neighborhood, but that's
            what the city planning commission is there for... and they can summarily
            reject any design that does not fit their standards. Or, at the very
            least, they can stall the project long enough to make the project
            financially not viable.

            I agree that specific historical/neighborhood landmarks should have
            special restrictions, but by instituting a blanket regulation on all
            buildings older than 50 buildings next to vacant lots - there are many
            neighborhoods that are on the rise (ie Logan Circle) that will never
            make it if further regulations are established. They instituted the
            same near the convention center, and look at the results - on the north,
            north east sides of the surrounding areas, you have old decrepit
            buildings, and it's dangerous.

            More restrictions, less investment... always.

            'Maebry, Tremaine (COUNCIL)'; 'Peter Muller'; 'Jennifer Drenning';
            'Heidi Dodd'; 'Armstrong, Fay A'; 'Eric Salonen'; 'Dana Keeney';
            'Elizabeth Heyd'; 'Steve Askin'; 'Amy Houser'; 'Bill Mosley';
            'Charlotte'; dannyoshtry@...; 'Elinor Hart'; 'Kye Briesath';
            mwarschoff@...; 'Rob Fleming'; dkaufman@...; 'Michael Miller';
            atslatkica@...; 'Marika Torok'; dleggert@...;
            kbriesath@...; baronfa@...; dominicsale@...;
            mpms3213@...; rroach@...; 'Lisa Raisner';
            WardOneDC@yahoogroups.com; 'Victoria Aronoff'; 'Josh Meyer'; 'Gideon
            Aronoff'; 'Victoria Gideon Aronoff'; 'Sweets';
            13th-14th-irving-kenyon@...;
            taskforce@...; 'Adams Morgan'; 'ColHts1'; 'Columbia
            Heights'; 'floridaavenuewatch@yahoo. com'; 'HolmeadVillage';
            'LeDroitPark'; 'Mintwood'; 'Monroe Street'; 'Mt Pleasant'; 'MtPForum';
            'PSA411 '; 'PSA414'; 'ThirdDistrictCAC'; 'Ustreet'
            Neighborhoods

            Shortage in certain areas. But housing is not wheat. If you just let
            people tear down anything they wanted to rebuild higher-density
            housing anytime they wanted, in the short term they would sell lots of
            condos. In the long term, the historic neighborhoods (which are the
            areas that are so hot right now - and the quality of the housing stock
            is a big part of the reason why) would have their character destroyed
            and become less desireble, and ultimately decay.

            I don't know about HomeAgain, but your comment seems logical. I was
            only talking about the idea that we should permit developers to raze
            historic properties to create high-density housing simply beacuse
            there is a short-term demand, which was the original problem.

            -- Jamie

            Tuesday, May 11, 2004, 8:53:17 AM, you wrote:

            JG> Lack of supply vis-à-vis increased demand = higher prices = housing
            JG> shortage

            JG> Prices only go up when there isn't enough of something. Given the
            JG> emphasis on maintaining low-income housing, that sounds like a
            shortage
            JG> to me.

            JG> If there was more supply allowed to come on-line, then prices would
            JG> stabilize and the threat to low-income citizens would diminish.

            JG> Yes there are vacant houses, but the cities regulatory system
            stymies
            JG> the development of these properties such that they continue to sit
            JG> vacant.

            JG> Ask about the HomeAgain initiative. The city holds onto the vacant
            JG> properties until they can sell them to large developers 5 at a time.
            JG> Wouldn't it make more economic sense to sell them to the highest
            bidder
            JG> as they come along?

            1

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Jim Graham
            Message 5 of 12 , May 12, 2004
              Thanks for your message. I am not sure what this has to do with
              affordable housing. Rest assured, that all of the developments I have
              referenced are 100% market rate. I am a critic of the pace of the "Home
              Again" program. But they are by no means all large developers. As Mi
              Casa, a small nonprofit Latino developer, about the houses they have
              received. What this concerns is the loss of our historic streetscape and
              the absence of any meaningful legal protection (outside of a historic
              district or historic designation). Bests Councilmember Jim Graham

              I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after
              that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there
              is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me.

              Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #406,
              Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).

              'Maebry, Tremaine (COUNCIL)'; 'Peter Muller'; 'Jennifer Drenning';
              'Heidi Dodd'; 'Armstrong, Fay A'; 'Eric Salonen'; 'Dana Keeney';
              'Elizabeth Heyd'; 'Steve Askin'; 'Amy Houser'; 'Bill Mosley';
              'Charlotte'; dannyoshtry@...; 'Elinor Hart'; 'Kye Briesath';
              mwarschoff@...; 'Rob Fleming'; dkaufman@...; 'Michael Miller';
              atslatkica@...; 'Marika Torok'; dleggert@...;
              kbriesath@...; baronfa@...; dominicsale@...;
              mpms3213@...; rroach@...; 'Lisa Raisner';
              WardOneDC@yahoogroups.com; 'Victoria Aronoff'; 'Josh Meyer'; 'Gideon
              Aronoff'; 'Victoria Gideon Aronoff'; 'Sweets';
              13th-14th-irving-kenyon@...;
              taskforce@...; 'Adams Morgan'; 'ColHts1'; 'Columbia
              Heights'; 'floridaavenuewatch@yahoo. com'; 'HolmeadVillage';
              'LeDroitPark'; 'Mintwood'; 'Monroe Street'; 'Mt Pleasant'; 'MtPForum';
              'PSA411 '; 'PSA414'; 'ThirdDistrictCAC'; 'Ustreet'
              Subject: [MountPleasantDC] RE: [WardOneDC] RE: [NCHCA] Threats to our
              Historic Neighborhoods

              Message 6 of 12 , May 13, 2004

                I take great issue with your comment thatA variance will be issued when someone
                gets the right amount of money or a relationship is exercised.” If this was ever true it is certainly not the case now.  From what I’ve seen the test for a variance is clear and the process for approval is open, honest and legally based.

                GEOFFREY H GRIFFIS

                Er, I would really like to believe that, but you can't honestly expect
                the average resident to be protected by the city simply because this
                is the way it *should* work. A variance will be issued when someone
                gets the right amount of money or a relationship is exercised. It
                happens all the time.

                The problem is, when the law appears to have been broken, it is up to
                an individual to fight a developer with lots of money and lots more at
                stake. While someone with enough perserverance, time and money might
                prevail, why would we wish that upon anyone?

                I can't comment on this proposed legislation since this is not much
                detail, but there is very little reason in my mind to demolish
                historic structures unless they are structurally unsound. In the 9
                years I have lived in Mt. PLeasant I've seen dozens of abandoned
                houses be gutted and renovated and not a brick was removed from the
                outside.

                -- Jamie

                Tuesday, May 11, 2004, 9:07:49 AM, you wrote:

                JG> Variances for zoning restrictions are only given through a lengthy
                JG> appeals process.  This process includes approval from the local ANC.  If
                JG> a variance was given to build over 60% lot occupancy in a R4 area, then
                JG> your neighbors approved it!

                JG> Historic neighborhoods already protect the façades of the properties.
                JG> You can't even change the windows or a door without getting it approved
                JG> through the historic preservation system.  So maybe the best thing to do
                JG> is to create more historic neighborhoods??

                JG> " I am considering introducing legislation to place a moratorium on
                JG> demolitions in our neighborhoods of any building that is more than 50
                JG> years old, that is adjacent to a vacant lot."

                JG> So now when there is a failing decrepit building that happens to be next
                JG> to a vacant lot, the blight will be prolonged?

              • James Treworgy
                Message 7 of 12 , May 13, 2004
                  So, you are saying that nobody is ever (or has ever) been
                  granted any special consideration by the DC government? Pardon me if I
                  seem incredulous.

                  Off the top of my head... would I, as a private citizen, would be
                  permitted to hold a Grand Prix race in Washington, DC violating
                  federal and local emissions and noise laws? No DC inspector has ever
                  accepted a bribe? No permit process has ever been expedited because
                  the contractor has a relationship with someone at DCRA?

                  I am not saying this is unique to DC or that things aren't better now
                  than they were under Barry (which I believe they certainly are). But
                  it is absurd to suggest that large companies who do millions of
                  dollars of business in DC, and contribute to the campaigns of city
                  council and the mayor, are not granted special consideration versus
                  private citizens.

                  -- Jamie