New Police District!

  • Jim Graham
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2004
      Message
      Dear Friends:

      I am very pleased to announce that, as of yesterday, May 2, Ward One is now officially included within a single police district, namely the Third District with headquarters at 17th and V NW. We will of course maintain our substation at 750 Park Road, NW.

      After far too many years of an artificial and arbitrary division at Harvard, with the north being in 4D and the south being in 3D, we are now unified. This is one of the goals I set out to achieve when I was elected as your councilmember.

      This is more than just shifting boxes. This is substantive because it gives us focused police leadership with a single Commander, Larry McCoy. In addition to his superb leadership, we also have the inspired work o our substation commander, Inspector Hoey, on Park Road. They are joined by many other fine officers who are really making a change in public safety in our neighborhoods. I do want to acknowledge the fine work of Commander Burton at 4D, who understands the need for this change.

      Obviously there is a ways to go. We must continue our efforts at community engagement and increased deployments.

      But this is a solid step of progress.

      In achieving this result, I appreciate the support we have received from Chief Ramsey. I am also grateful to Chief Ramsey for the fine police leadership we have in the Ward.

      Bests Councilmember jim Graham

      Please note that the Ward One section of Woodley Park will continue to be in the Second Police District. But all other Ward One neighborhoods are now in 3D.

      I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me.

      Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #406, Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).