Positive Crime Solutions After a Rough Night of Violence

  • Jim Graham
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
      Dear Friends: Last night was a tough night for our neighborhoods...with armed car jacking, one homicide, four wounded two critically, another wounding on Sherman Avenue, robberies..more robberies.

      Celery we need additional solutions to the crime problems we are facing. What is being done now is not as successful as we need.

      But we are at work on other solutions. Briefly, here they are:

      1) GANG INTERVENTION:Following my suggestion 10 days ago, we have had two very positive meetings on taking the successful model on gang interventions that we have for Latinos, and extending it to African American crews. We have some preliminary commitments from MPD leadership.

      2) BETTER TECHNOLOGY; I have asked Mayor Fenty to provide 3D with SHotspotters, so we can have better technology to fight crime by identifying the area from which shots are being fired. We have also got to replace the current cameras with others that are more versatile, and more effective.t What we have now is very high tech but also very rigid and of limited utility. Better--though not necessarily more expensive cameras--can be a helpful crime fighting tool.

      3) MORE POLICE, GREATER POLICE PRESENCE:  Steps have recently been taken to improve foot patrols. But Chief Lanier now has from the Council the authority for 350 additional officers. They should be hired as soon as possible while keeping quality standards high. In eth meantime, police have got to be assigned where they are needed. Right now, the escalating level of violence in our Ward calls for a significant increase in police presence.

      4) TOUGH ACTION ON BARS THAT HAVE A PATTERN OF ATTRACTING CRIME AND VIOLENCE. I respectfully disagree with the decision that Chief Lanier made over the weekend. I had called upon her to use her emergency powers to shut down El Salvadoreno, on 14th Street at Parkwood, after still another stabbing. We must continue to send a clear message that we mean business in this regard...not on an single event of serious crime, but when there is present a clear pattern of a bar that draws violence to its premises. Such is the case with El Salvadoreno. As recently as about a year ago, its license was suspended for 60 days (30 days stayed) as a result of 12 crimes over a prior 18 month period.

      In all of thsi, we are not by any means overlooking the root causes of crime, and need to engage our young people in meaningful ways...especially when they are very young. And also, in providing job and training opportunity for a better life.

      But right now, we are facing a very serious set of challenges. One shooting tends to give rise to more, as revenge is sought.

      Chief, we need these new approaches right away.

      Bests CM Jim Graham

      I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me.

      Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105, Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).

      Chairman, Committee on Public Works and the Environment (including alcohol regulation). Main Committee Number: 202-724-8195. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #116, Washington, DC 20004.

      Voting member, Board of Directors, WMATA/Metro.

      Website: www.grahamwone.com

    • nathan boggs
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
        What is the penalty for possessing an illegal gun and discharging it in the city limits?  Maybe that is part of the problem.  These gangsters are killing people and due to the street culture, noone is testifying.  And when they don't actually kill the person, they get away with a slap on the wrist.  How many times have we read in the paper that an alleged shooter had been arrested previously on gun charges?
        If we can't stop them from killing each other, then some action needs to be taken to tear down the problem buildings and give these people vouchers to live elsewhere.  Spread them out.  It is proven that these people can not live side by side without robbing, killing each other.  We can not let an up and coming neighborhood be destroyed by the actions of these gangsters.

        Nathan Boggs

        Jim Graham <grahamwone@...> wrote:
[...]

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Alan Savage
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
          My girlfriend and I went on a short walk for dessert after dinner last night. On the way home we encountered a man that had been mugged and robbed. We were the only people that stopped to give this man assistance. We let the victim use our telephone to call the police. From the one sided conversation that we could hear between the victim and the diispatcher it almost sounded as if she was trying to discourage the man from having the police come to take a report. The man was robbed next to the pottery place on Kalorama. The parking lot there is dark and obviously dangerous. The police car eventually responded 15 minutes later.
             We got home and took our dog out and discovered that there was another shooting on 14th st.  One of these vics was out at the scene and spoke to my girlfriend and I. He stated that he had been walking alone behind a group of others when a vehicle pulled up and started to fire upon them. This guy was still very stressed out and he could really only say Be careful out here, this area is very unsafe.
          When are opermanent lights going to be put in place in the park on 14th where people congregate at all hours. A light needs to be put on 15th at the corner of Euclid.

          Please can we have more lights and a more obvious presence of police. We all are risking our lives every day as we go about our daily activities. As the man said everyone please be aware of your surroundings and carry your cell phones with you. Call 911 or 311 if you see anyone or anything suspicious. We as citizens along with the police need to take a more active role in fighting this dangerous level of crime in our areas.

          Jim Graham <grahamwone@gmail. com> wrote:
[...]

          Do You Yahoo!?
          http://mail. yahoo.com

          http://mail.yahoo.com