Re: [WardOneDC] PSA 306 Move to Second District

  • William Jordan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2007
      Is this conclusion based on an at-large view of Ward 1/3D or primarily
      the concerns of a particular area? The reality is that the Dupont
      Circle area probably should never have been apart of 3D and was added
      based less on the most effective policing strategy but the most
      effective political strategy. With the exception of either a minor
      boundary change around the 1400/1500 blocks of U or good MOU between 2D
      & 3D this will probably be a could change for much 3D neighborhoods.
      As 3D needs to be prepared to focus on growth areas to the North and
      East.

      Mr. Pomeroy has provided the only thoughtful piece on this that I have
      seen. If a delay would be used to draft an MOU or something to address
      those concerns a delay would be good. However, if the delay is
      primarily to allow a certain politician air cover for failing to address
      this issue seriously over the last serveral months then a delay is
      unwarrented. Moving the rest of 3D out of the gravity of 306 is
      probably a good thing in terms of focus on the balance of 3D neighborhoods.

      Now, if we can get the chief to do a Commander swap between 3D and 1D
      we can really make some progress.

      William

      DHunterlaw@... wrote:

      >Jim
      >
      >Ask the Mayor to delay the implementation of this plan.
      >There is little to no support for this in Ward One.
      >Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

    • Sandra Truesdale
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
        On behalf of the Campbell Heights Residents' Inc., I would also like to encourage Chief Lanier to bring this issue before the community in a possible discussion.  My concern of course is 15th and U Sts where the senior citizens community is housed and how it will affect that community.

        I have worked closely with Chief Lanier in Ward 4 and found her to be very fair in her decisions but this in one that I think could be given a little more thought and consideration as far as the community participation is concerned.

        Sandra Butler-Truesdale, President
        Campbell Heights Residents' Association, Inc.

        WardOneDC@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

        Messages

        1a.

        Re: PSA 306 Move to Second District

        Posted by: "William Jordan" whj@...   whjmela

        Sat Sep 1, 2007 7:40 am (PST)

        DHunterlaw@aol. com wrote:

        >Jim
        >
        >Ask the Mayor to delay the implementation of this plan.
        >There is little to no support for this in Ward One.
        >Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        2.

        Adams Morgan Day is Around Corner - Some Volunteer Spots Still Avail

        Posted by: "Janet" ExecDirector@...   larubiasalsera

        Sat Sep 1, 2007 12:10 pm (PST)

        Adams Morgan Day 2007 needs YOU!

        29th Annual Adams Morgan Day Festival
        Sunday, September 9

        Pre - Event Office Planners needed: office outreach, community outreach,
        making posters, flyers, mailings & more.
        Like to organize? Want to be in on the Pre-Event stuff THIS WEEK?
        Needed all week from 10A - 8p EVERYDAY

        Adams Morgan Day is filled with culturally diverse music, food, dance,
        and
        arts & crafts. Help make it happen!
        • Get a free Adams Morgan Day T-Shirt
        • Meet neat new people - meet your neighbors
        • Live music, arts, crafts, food and activities for all ages
        • Post-Festival Volunteer Appreciation Party, including free food
        & drink
        • Be proud of being an integral part of an annual local & DC
        Favorite

        Visit our website at: www.AMMainStreet. org or call us at (202) 232-1960
        for more information! E-mail Janet at execdirector@ ammainstreet. org.
        OPEN LABOR DAY also!
        Yahoo! News
        What's the word on
        fashion and style?
        Green Groups
        share your passion
        for the planet.
        Yoga Resources
        Take the stress
        out of your life.
        Need to Reply?

        Emma Mae Gallery
        The History of Rhythm & Blues,
        Blues, Jazz & Gospel in B&W
        See the exhibit @ the Reeves Center
        14th & U Sts., NW
        www.emmamaegallery.com
        202-246-6300

      • William Jordan
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007

          Unfortunately, the request that the C.M. made is pretty much literally a day late and several dollars short.  I believe the new configuration began today.   The first announcement that I saw on the move was about July 7th. with meetings on July 11th   & 18th.  I checked the CM's website no announcements or community meetings on this matter from his office until 8/31 on how this may impact his Wards PSAs.   But now Lanier needs to delay and meet with the community about the move?  The only value of such a meeting at this point on this matter would be to deflect responsibility onto Chief  Lanier for gathering and representing the concerns of the Ward on this matter.

          If there is a meeting at this point it should take us forward to discuss some of the following points:

          -   Leadership change in 3D
          -   Reworking the Hot Spot's system
          -   Rebalancing PSA deployments
          -   Crime fighting priorities
          -   What our real community policing strategy is going to be.

          William