Officer's Son Claims Beating By DC Police

  • Dominic Sale
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2006
      Officer's Son Claims Beating By DC Police

      Written By Doug Buchanan 9News
      Created:5/31/2006 10:12:23 PM
      Last Updated:6/1/2006 7:59:30 AM

      The victim is a District high school student and his stepfather is a DC police officer, who admitted to me he may have not believed the 17-year-old's story. But he saw the beating with his own eyes.

      "They hunted me down like I was a dog."

      And 17-year-old Lewis Hough says the hunters in this case were two unidentified DC police officers who were driving this unmarked cop car.

      “They kicked and punched me, and told me to shut up.”

      It was late on Saturday night when Lewis and his stepfather, Ralph Barnhardt, who just happens to be a DC police officer himself, were leaving the Popeye's restaurant along Georgia Avenue together and heading home. Barnhardt was going by car and the high school junior by bicycle.

      “I thought they were going to rob me and try and take my bike,” Lewis said.

      Nearing their Park Road home, Lewis's stepfather says he glanced up from behind the wheel of his car and spotted a red Crown Victoria chasing the 17-year-old. He tried to keep up, but lost them briefly until he turned the corner and looked up this alley.

      The off-duty officer gave 9 News his full account of what he saw, but because of an internal investigation, he chose not to go on camera, unlike Lewis Hough's mother.

      The allegations have caught the attention of at least one DC City Council member.

      If the officers ever intended to arrest the teenager, they did not. Not at the scene, not at the hospital and not when he arrived home early the next morning.

      Lewis Hough and his family have not been given any explanation into what led to the chase, and what ended in an apparent beating at the hands and feet of the police.

      So what happens with the officers who were involved?

      They remain on the job tonight, although an investigation is already underway. It’s a case that may come down to one officer’s word against two others.