U Street: the place to go (GW Colonial)

  • Dominic Sale
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2006

      U Street: the place to go

      http://www.dailycolonial.com/go.dc?p=3&s=2816

      Posted Saturday, May 6 2006 08:45:41 am

      By Philippa Wood

      Walking through the Marvin Center on another Thursday night, I began to wonder what the outside world looked like. With finals, papers and a general stressed-out mood all over campus I began to feel claustrophobic and had a strange need to get off of campus, but I did not have any clue as to where to go.

      DuPont is always an option, but I had just been the night before, and Adams Morgan was beginning to get old as well, not to mention all I seem to do in Georgetown is spend money. I began to ask around campus, and it seems as though the new D.C. ‘hot spot’ is U Street.

      Stephanie Dolloff, ’08 has been to U Street and says it, “is not your upscale ritzy Georgetown hangout place, it has its own interesting and jazzy flare, with a great diversity of clubs and hotspots. U Street is for the original, eclectic, chill beings, therefore, if you like live bands, poetry jams, jazz, and meeting interesting people; U Street. is the place to go!”

      When asked where to go in the U Street area, Stephanie said, “The Black Cat Club for live music, the Bohemian Caverns for poetry on Wednesday nights, and a good bar is the Bar Nun a club.”

      Shirah Minkoff ’08 has been to U Street as well, saying, “It’s different, not ‘upper class’ hip, more funky and underground hip.” However Shirah warns, “[GW students] should be careful because it isn't someplace where I'd hang out outside late at night, but there are some really interesting places to go and hang out that are different from the normal GW scene. Not to mention, the bookstore had a great selection.”

      The bookstore she is referring to is, Busboys, a restaurant and bookstore that Shirah describes as, “very cool, hip, fun, the dessert was great and the music was nice.”

      On top of fun hangouts such as bars and restaurants, U Street offers many historical memorials and historical areas. They include the African American Civil War Memorial, where more than 209,000 are inscribed of African American soldiers from the Civil war next to Ed Hamilton’s “Spirit of Freedom” sculpture, with an adjacent museum.

      Also, The Duke Ellington Mural by, G. Byron Peck right outside of the metro exit. The Black Fashion Museum, showing garments designed, worn by, and made for African Americans throughout history; and the Lincoln Theater, the center for DC’s African American social life during the 1930’s and 1940’s, which has been restored and now hosts concerts, theater productions, film festivals and more.

      With so much going on at school at the end of the year, it is easy to forget that there is a city beyond the GW campus, one that is thriving with life and culture. U Street is a small yet colorful part of that city, a part that should defiantly be explored!