ANC1D resolution: Hostile Business Environment, so Innovation Zone]

  • William Jordan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2006
      [A Step in the right direction, thanks ANC1D]

      Below is the ANC1D resolution unanimously declaring the appearance of a Hostile Business Environment in Mount Pleasant, and asking that the Mayor by Executive Order establish Mount Pleasant as an Innovation Zone.

      Passed by a four to zero vote (Kahn, Backfield, McKay, and Edwards voting "yes", Wysocki and Scott absent) at the legally noticed, regular public meeting of February 7, 2006, with a quorum present.

      ANC1D resolves to advise the DC government, and specifically the Mayor, the Council, and the DC Department of Transportation, that there is now accepted in Mount Pleasant the appearance of a hostile business environment. This includes the appearance of conflicts of interest, and selective and destructive application of laws. This ANC asks that Mount Pleasant be declared by Executive Order an Innovation Zone to explore better practices in the handling of regulation and the education of all connected parties. This includes special attention to revision of laws that will encourage a sense of fairness. This must include changes in laws and regulations to encourage and balance the pursuit of both business innovation and the rights of DC residents.

      Why

      In a meeting of this ANC's Commercial Corridor Committee, a large cross section of representatives of merchants, business owners, and officers of civic associations reviewed the history of DC regulation in Mount Pleasant, and the apparent favoring by the DC Government of a small group of activists who wish to change the character of the commercial corridor against the interest of a larger group of residents.

    • Todd K
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2006
        Wow!
        I can't wait to see where this one goes. Interesting
        though, that they will table certain resolutions in
        order for certain ANC Commissioners to be present, but
        went ahead with a vote on something so controversial
        with two Commissioners missing--not that what they did
        was illegal or unethical, just interesting.
        And here's another question, when they say "the
        apparent favoring by the DC Government of a small
        group of activists who wish to change the character of
        the commercial corridor against the interest of a
        larger group of residents" who is the small group of
        activists and who is a larger group of residents--not
        very objective speach for a resolution?

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Massumi, Rick
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2006
              This is a wonderful and inspiring example of real grassroots leadership.  Thank you, Commissioners, for stepping forward on behalf of the majority in MtP who want to get our neighborhood back for the benefit of ALL the citizens and who want to see it become the active, lively and harmoniously diverse neighborhood we all know it can be.

                  Rick Massumi
                  Mount Pleasant