DC Olympic Team Enjoys Explosive Support in Drive for Recognition from International Olympic Committee

  • Shawn Rolland
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2006
      D.C. residents,

      Check out the movement for a D.C. Olympic team.  If Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa and the Virgin Islands have an Olympic team, why not D.C.?

      Come to the launch party!  February 10th.  Visit the site for more at www.DCOlympicTeam.org.

      Check out the article in:

      DC ‘Olympic’ Curling Team Enjoys Explosive Support in Drive for Recognition from International Olympic Committee

      ( WASHINGTON , D.C. , February 8, 2006) The District of Columbia Olympic Committee (DCOC), a new effort to gain official recognition for an Olympic team for Washington , DC , today announced explosive growth in support in the two weeks since it launched.

      (Learn more and see pictures at www.DCOlympicTeam.org)
      (Launch party this Friday, Feb 10th in DC: See www.DCOlympicTeam.org for details)

      DCOC launched late January, 2006, with a winter Olympic curling squad as its first team.   The goal was to highlight the lack of voting representation by the citizens of Washington , DC .   In its first two weeks, supporters from DC and elsewhere have already sent nearly 10,000 letters of support to the International Olympic Committee, asking that DCOC be granted recognition.  The effort has earned coverage by the Washington Post, massive spread throughout the blogosphere, and has even gained a sponsor – Labatt Blue Beer.

      The effort was first conceived of in 2004 by Mike “Ice Man” Panetta, a director with the public affairs firm Grassroots Enterprise, after he noticed that Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands had Olympic teams.  Like these territories, DC is part of the United States , but is excluded from Congressional representation.

      “If the District is going to be lumped in with the other red-headed stepchildren of American representative democracy, we should at least be able to compete with our own Olympic teams like other territories,” said Panetta, Chairman of DCOC, and captain of the curling team.  “The first team we are organizing is curling, but we are looking for athletes for other sports for both the winter and summer games, and we encourage all who are interested to sign up at www.DCOlympicTeam.org.”

      With the help of coworkers from Grassroots, as well as other friends, Panetta launched the web site, put together a curling team, and began practicing to “go for the gold.”

      “What started as an email to a few friends has now exploded into a mass movement,” said Mike ‘Ice Man’ Panetta, “The way this thing is growing, the people of the District of Columbia might just see their Olympic sized dreams come true.”

      Please see www.DCOlympicTeam.org for more information, a full roster of the team, and photos where you can see them coming together as a lean, mean, curling machine.

      Disclaimer

      The District of Columbia Olympic Committee is NOT officially recognized by the US Olympic Committee, the International Olympic Committee, Olympic Airways, Olympic Tires, or even Olympia Dukakis (though we loved her in "Moonstruck"). However, are trying to get recognized by the IOC, and are asking all those who support our efforts to visit www.DCOlympicTeam.org, and send a letter to the IOC asking them to let DC play!