RE: Baseball Deal is going to get worse, More costly - Time to FIX IT!

  • Jim Graham
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
      Got it. I am meeting in a few minutes with MLB on these issues. This
      deal is financially OUT OF CONTROL. And as much as anyone may like the
      sport, and may like it in DC, there is the issue of competing priorities
      and spiraling cost. I am not convinced. Bests Jim

      I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after
      that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there
      is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me.

      Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105,
      Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).

      Chairman, Committee on Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. Main Committee
      Number: 202-724-8198. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #112, Washington, DC 20004.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
        Message
        Thanks. I hear you. I am doing all I can. DC cannot afford this and that was clear last year. It has only gotten worse since. I voted "no" four times in 2004, as you also recall. And once in 2005. I can only support this if it is moved to RFK or MLB makes some major fiscal concessions. Bests Jim

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2005

          I'm no psychologist or psychiatrist but I'm starting to understand this baseball stadium obsession.  Baseball in the case of DC, the stadium is a phallic symbol in particular for our mayor and those he most represents. The RFK site is problematic not be cause of economics or environmental issues, it is not acceptable because the site would dimension the potency of the stadium as phallus.  Stadium needs to be closer or at least more connected to our ultimate phallic  symbols the US Capitol and Washington Monument.  Secondly its should be understood that while we in DC make a distinction with our surrounding suburbs, nobody else does, we are all considered, "Washington".   So, when the Senators left in the early 70's it symbolized the loss in the region of potency.  Watergate, the rise of Chocolate City and the like was the knock out blow.

          Because of baseball's symbolic power, league owners hold the ultimate trump card.  The hostility toward the Council Chair by some on this issue, can't be explained by her position on baseball and the stadium.  She has flown air cover for the supporters of Baseball and a publicly financed stadium all the way.  The hostility toward her is more because is a powerful women of color, to some supporters of baseball she symbolically represents the antithesis of their phallic symbol. No way can she be seen as controller of the ultimate symbol.   This is why for instance a recent Post column made the point of saying she called crying concerning the issue last year this time.  Mr. Catania justifiably challenging city and sports officials at the council hearings only compounds  the symbolic assault on the phallic. Symbolically, the opponents of a publicly financed stadium represent impotence.  So, what does this pseudo analysis have to do with getting a better deal for the District.

          In order to get a better deal for the District, we and our representatives need to understand the elements that are really being negotiated and what cards MLB really holds.  This is not an easy challenge, much of the last 400 years or so of my genetic unconscious has been spent wrestling with the best approach to this issue. The economic argument will only be partially effective because symbolically the object is priceless. My guess, the best approach is to spend less energy fighting the stadium and more energy demanding quality schools, housing, neighbor orientation transportation, neighborhoods and recreation.   As will happen, the pissing contest has take priority over the more important things.  Some how as citizens, we have to make it clear to our representatives through reward, that delivering on quality schools, housing, transportation, neighborhoods and recreation is more highly prized than delivering rhetorical a prophylactic.

          William