PRESS RELEASE: CM Graham Reaction to Club U Liquor License Ruling

  • Heymann, Alan (COUNCIL)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2005
      COUNCILMEMBER GRAHAM'S STATEMENT ON THE REVOCATION OF THE CLUB U LIQUOR
      LICENSE

      For Immediate Release
      June 29, 2005

      Contact: Alan Heymann
      (202) 727-8229

      Councilmember Jim Graham (D-Ward One) issued the following statement this
      afternoon:

      "I am pleased with the ABC Board decision that was announced today revoking
      the license of The Coach and Four, also known as Club U, located in the D.C.
      Government's Reeves Center at 14th & U Streets, N.W.

      "The Board has found that continuation of this license presents an imminent
      danger to the health and safety of the public. The Board was impacted, as
      was I, by Chief Ramsey's determination that under 25 DC Code 827 there had
      been an increased correlation of crime within 1,000 feet of this business as
      a result of this license. Mayor Williams has also joined with us in calling
      for this action.

      "As I have said before, this is not about any particular group or type of
      music. This is about a pattern of violence associated with an establishment
      that has been privileged to dispense alcohol. This privilege is awarded
      only to those who behave responsibly to protect the public safety and
      health.

      "The tragic incident that justifies this act was the stabbing death of Mr.
      Terrence Brown within these premises in February 2005.

      "As chair of the Committee on Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (with
      oversight over alcohol licensing), and as Councilmember for the ward in
      which this license was located, I appreciate this action."

      Alan Heymann
      Communications Director
      Councilmember Jim Graham
      www.grahamwone.com