Adams Morgan ANC 1C is passing a resolution on behalf of voting right for non US citizens

  • Green Latino
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
      Voting Rights for All DC Coalition

      Hi everybody,

      As you may all know the Adams Morgan ANC is going to
      be voting on the resolution to support voting rights
      for non US citizens in local elections in DC. I urge
      you to call this ANC commissioners to let them know
      the importance of passing this resolution for all of
      us in DC; the same way it was done in Mount Pleasant.
      Here is this ANCs phone numbers to call them all
      before next Tuesday Dec 3th. That day starting at 7:00
      Pm they are going to be meeting at the 3rd District
      Police Headquarters;17th and V Sts., NW.
      Lets all show up that day.
      You do not have to be from this ANC to call them to
      support our campaign to extend the right to vote in
      all local elections to all documented resident - non
      US citizens- of the District Of Columbia.Here is they
      information on line.

      http://www.anc1c.org/comm.html

      You can call, fax or email them asking them their
      support.

      We at the Coalition strongly believe in the 'great
      weight' rol that our elected ANC commissioners have in
      DC. Lets call them all before Wednesday night!

      If you have any comments, idea, suggestion and how to
      improve our appoach to ANCs or any other group about
      this campaign, please let us know

      Greetings,
      Mario Cristaldo
      (202) 328 8248
      Chair - Coordinator

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
    • Wallace Dickson
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
        Voting is a privilege and a responsibility of citizenship.
        Why would one permit non-citizens to vote in our elections?
        I don't understand the rationale for this change in our law.
        Please explain why we should extend citizens' voting rights to
        non-citizens.
        What's the point, then, in studying and aspiring to become a
        citizen?

        Wallace Dickson
        wdickson@...
        (202) 265-0591

[...]

        ---------------------~--> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your
        HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on
        orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/yUwplB/TM
      • Green Latino
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
          Hi Wallace,
          Voting Rights is a privilege and responsibility of
          every single resident who live, pay taxes and
          participate actively in our communities.
          We should permit it because it is part of our
          American History, non citizens voted in local
          elections since the beggining of our Country. In fact
          not the 1920s, when the anti-immigrants groups
          flourished (kkk and others), 22 states allow non US
          citizens to vote in their States and local elections.
          In the constitution of the United States there is
          anything against this voting rights.
          To allow non US citizens who are residents of the
          District of Columbia, we need to change the definition
          of the term qualify elector in the DC Code. We need
          this definition of qualify elector to be a "resident
          of the District of Columbia" instead of "citizens of
          the United States". Takoma Park, MD and others
          localities and Municipalities around the Country have
          done already.
          The issue of naturalization is a completely
          different issue. What we are talking about here is of
          tax payers who are resident of the District of
          Columbia willing to elect their local elected official
          and participate actively in the political process. It
          is part of our democratic values, and related to the
          issue of "taxation without representation". Also it is
          about being inclusive with our documented residents.
          I honestly think it makes sense, it is fair and
          it will benefit us all.
          I really hope that the great majority of us
          could express our support to this campaign.
          Greetings,

          Mario Cristaldo

          --- Wallace Dickson <wdickson@...> wrote:
          > Voting is a privilege and a responsibility of
          > citizenship.
          > Why would one permit non-citizens to vote in our
          > elections?
          > I don't understand the rationale for this change in
          > our law.
          > Please explain why we should extend citizens' voting
          > rights to
          > non-citizens.
          > What's the point, then, in studying and aspiring to
          > become a
          > citizen?
          >

          > Wallace Dickson
          > wdickson@...
          > (202) 265-0591

          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
          http://companion.yahoo.com/
        • Dominic Sale
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
            Mario,

            You give a very informed and well-reasoned argument to this issue and
            I applaud your efforts to educate DC's residents on non-citizen
            voting rights. As you know, your efforts did not fall on deaf ears
            in Mount Pleasant and our ANC supported non-citizen voting rights for
            legal residents by a vote of 5-0 (with one abstention). I urge Adams
            Morgan's ANC to support this cause and to give everyone who has a
            stake in DC government to have a say in how it operates. Just as is
            the case in Mount Pleasant, a high proportion of non-citizens in
            Adams Morgan greatly hinders your neighborhood's voice at the city
            level.

            Let's give people a voice in their local communities and bring our
            neighborhoods together. As I've said all along, better at the ballot
            box than with bullets.

            Good luck with the Adams Morgan vote.

            Best regards,
            Dominic Sale
            Chairman ANC1D - Mount Pleasant

            --- In WardOneDC@yahoogroups.com, Green Latino <dclatino01@y...>

          • bbitondo@worldbank.org
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
              To Follow up on Dominic's mail to Mario, I am forwarding a couple emails I sent
              out to voters around Washington who had questions about this issue.

              Dear _____

              You ask why should a non-citizen have any say in local government? Let me
              respond to some of your subsequent questions first, and then I think it will be
              easier for me to explain why I believe non-citizens should have a vote in local
              government.

              >How and why is a non citizen even able to serve in our military?

              Citizenship has never been a requirement to serve in the US armed forces. The
              military allows documented ("legal") immigrants to serve in all of its branches.
              In fact, non-citizens make up more than 4% of the US army. And as the ongoing
              war makes enlistment less popular with generally more-affluent US citizens,
              recruiters are increasing their recruitment efforts in less-affluent non-citizen
              communities.

              >If a person has lived here for many years, why hasn't he or she become a
              citizen yet?

              Across the country, and in the District of Columbia, the number of applications
              for citizenship is rising quickly, largely driven by federal legislation passed
              in 1996 that encouraged naturalization. In 1999, for example, the number of
              applications in the Washington DC metro-area for citizenship grew by almost 50%.
              If this is any indicator, immigrants do want to become citizens.

              Unfortunately, the naturalization process is difficult, and the US census has
              release figures that show that less-educated immigrants and non-English speaking
              immigrants have a much more difficult time in successfully achieving their
              citizenship.

              To gain citizenship, non-residents must first certify that they have 5 years of
              residency in the united states. But the reality is that it takes the average
              naturalized citizen 10 years to gain their citizenship. Why? A report by the
              Catholic Immigration Charities Network called "Citizenship at Risk" points to
              backlogs in the INS, unnecessary bureaucratic complexity and poor instructions
              to applicants, increased fees, and a lack of preparation opportunities for the
              citizenship test.

              The naturalization process is important ? but it is also complex, long, and
              expensive. This may be a good thing for federal citizenship where foreign
              allegiance is a serious issue. But isn't ten years an awfully long time to wait
              for a say in local governance that has such a large impact on day to day issues
              that affect all of us ? and that have very little, if anything, to do with
              national allegiance?

              >Just as a child is required to finish school, people should be required to
              become >citizens if they want to live
              and vote here.)

              I agree with you ? but as I outlined above, the naturalization process not only
              takes a long time, it does not allow everybody who lives in the United States to
              become a US citizen. Immigrants are playing a large role in the District today
              and are on the front lines of some of the District greatest challenges, like
              education, affordable housing and health care. If we want to make progress in
              those areas, we need to make sure all of those involved have a say in the
              process now, not ten years later.

              >Why should we continue to allow non citizens to rob citizens of jobs?

              In his 1990 book Friends or Strangers: The Impact of Immigrants on the U.S.
              Economy, economist George Borjas wrote "Remarkably, economists have quickly
              reached a consensus on the direction and magnitude of the labor market impacts
              of immigration. The conclusion suggested by the empirical evidence is likely to
              be controversial: the methodological arsenal of modern econometrics cannot
              detect a single shred of evidence that immigrants have a sizable adverse impact
              on the earnings and employment opportunities of natives in the U.S"

              The truth is that immigrants don't take away wealth from America ? they add to
              it. According to a report released last year by the National Research Council,
              immigration provides an overall modest net gain for the United States ? roughly
              $7 billion to $10 billion a year in an $8 trillion economy.

              >So why should a non-citizen have any say in local government?

              Non-citizens are more than just community members, they are the fastest growing
              demographic group in this city. Immigrants are also the District's only
              population that is increasing the number of families with children, a
              demographic that the District sorely needs to attract if it is going to improve
              its school system. (See "Revitalizing Washington's Neighborhoods: A Vision Take
              Shape" by Alice Rivlin from the Brookings Institution) Immigrants also started
              over 300 successful small businesses in the District, and many of them are
              retail and commercial businesses in less-affluent neighborhoods, something that
              is also considered necessary for revitalization.

              Yet the District's immigrant communities are continually discriminated against
              in housing and employment, failed by the school system, harassed by the police
              department, and left stranded by the health care system. (See "The State of
              Latinos in the District of Columbia").

              The District's immigrant community not only fulfills all the obligations of
              community membership, it is a valuable addition to the community as a whole.
              Unfortunately, they aren't receiving community benefits they deserve in return.
              Ultimately we all have to work together to make the District a better place to
              live-- and the only way to do that is to give everybody a formal voice in the
              political process.

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              Dear ______

              I agree that people who want to participate in the political process --
              at the national level -- should go through the naturalization process.
[...]

              Furthermore there is a well-precedented alternative; allowing local
              municipalities to decide their own criteria for voting in local elections.

              Non-citizens are more than just community members, as the District's
              fastest growing demographic group they will play an important role in
              the District's future. Immigrants are also the District's only
              population that is increasing the number of families with children, a
              demographic that the District sorely needs to attract if it is going to
              improve its school system. (See "Revitalizing Washington's
              Neighborhoods: A Vision Take Shape" by Alice Rivlin from the Brookings
              Institution.) Immigrants have also started over 300 successful small
              businesses in the District, and many of them are retail and commercial
              businesses in less-affluent neighborhoods, something that is also
              considered necessary for revitalization.

              Yet the District's immigrant communities are continually discriminated
              against in housing and employment, failed by the school system, harassed
              by the police department, and left stranded by the health care system.
              (See "The State of Latinos in the District of Columbia").

              The District's ability to successfully address these problems will
              depend in part on its ability to fashion a true partnership with the
              immigrant community. And the only way to do that is to give everybody a
              formal voice in the political process.

              Sincerely,
              Barbara Bitondo
            • Wallace Dickson
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
                Thanks for your response to my questions about this issue.
                I was completely unaware of many of the facts you have conveyed in
                support of voting rights for taxpaying residents whether citizen or
                not.
                I was totally naïve on this issue!
                I will have to reconsider my thinking on this issue in light of what
                you have said.
                Thanks.

                Wallace Dickson
                wdickson@...
                (202) 265-0591

                on behalf of voting right for non US citizens

                Hi Wallace,
                Voting Rights is a privilege and responsibility of every single
                resident who live, pay taxes and participate actively in our
                communities.
                We should permit it because it is part of our American History,
                non citizens voted in local elections since the beggining of our
                Country. In fact not the 1920s, when the anti-immigrants groups
                flourished (kkk and others), 22 states allow non US citizens to vote
                in their States and local elections.
                In the constitution of the United States there is anything against
                this voting rights.
                To allow non US citizens who are residents of the District of
                Columbia, we need to change the definition of the term qualify
                elector in the DC Code. We need this definition of qualify elector
                to be a "resident of the District of Columbia" instead of "citizens
                of the United States". Takoma Park, MD and others localities and
                Municipalities around the Country have done already.
                The issue of naturalization is a completely different issue.
                What we are talking about here is of tax payers who are resident of
                the District of Columbia willing to elect their local elected
                official and participate actively in the political process. It is
                part of our democratic values, and related to the issue of "taxation
                without representation". Also it is about being inclusive with our
                documented residents.
                I honestly think it makes sense, it is fair and it will benefit
                us all.
                I really hope that the great majority of us could express our
                support to this campaign.
                Greetings,

                Mario Cristaldo
                Voting Rights for All DC Coalition

                --- Wallace Dickson <wdickson@...> wrote:
                > Voting is a privilege and a responsibility of citizenship.
                > Why would one permit non-citizens to vote in our elections?
                > I don't understand the rationale for this change in our law.
                > Please explain why we should extend citizens' voting rights to
                > non-citizens.
                > What's the point, then, in studying and aspiring to become a
                citizen?

                > Wallace Dickson
                > wdickson@...
                > (202) 265-0591

              • Joshua Freed
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
                  I still have not been convinced that non-citizens should receive the right to vote in the District. Some concerns:

                  1) If non-citizens vote in DC, how can we ensure that they given up the right to vote in the country in which they retain citizenship? Or are they still allowed to vote in both places?

                  2) Could non-citizens run for office?

                  3) Why should we allow non-American citizens the right to vote in local elections but not allow US citizens who are not officially DC residents -- for whatever reason -- to vote?

                  4) Do we allow foreign government officials who are now living in DC as part of their official duties to vote in DC? If not, how do we determine exactly which non-citizens are and are not allowed to vote?

                  5) If you are asserting that payment of taxes is justification enough to extend voting rights, how can you only extend it to non-citizens in DC. Business-owners pay taxes in DC. MD and VA residents pay DC taxes. Non-DC US residents living in DC pay DC taxes. Should we extend the vote to them as well?

                  6) What are the protections against voter fraud? How easy would it be for non-citizens living in MD and VA to claim DC residency to get the right to vote? How easy would it be to acquire fraudulent documents -- we all know they are easy to obtain on Columbia Road -- to claim residency and the right to vote?

                  The fact is, citizenship means something. There are certain rights and responsibilities bestowed upon those that become citizens or are citizens and one of the fundamental rights -- regardless of whether it has been laid out in the constitution -- is the right to vote. That same protection does not apply to non-citizens.

                  I am dismayed that there are increasing efforts by some to simply ignore or circumvent laws that are inconvenient to their agendas. This is a proposal that deserves much more consideration before it is decided on. It should not be pushed through ANCs and the City Council because an outspoken group of supporters wants fast action over reasoned debate.

                  As an aside, simply because a non-citizen can serve in the military does not alone provide a sufficient justification to extend this right -- particularly when military service is voluntary as there is no draft.

                  >From: "Wallace Dickson"
                  >Subject: RE: [WardOneDC] Adams Morgan ANC 1C is passing a resolution on behalf of voting right for non US citizens
                  >Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 21:25:56 -0500
                  >
                  >Thanks for your response to my questions about this issue.
                  >I was completely unaware of many of the facts you have conveyed in
                  >support of voting rights for taxpaying residents whether citizen or
                  >not.
                  >I was totally na�ve on this issue!
                  >I will have to reconsider my thinking on this issue in light of what
                  >you have said.
                  >Thanks.
                  >

                  >Wallace Dickson
                  >wdickson@...
                  >(202) 265-0591

                  Enjoy online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average.*
                  *Prices may vary by service area.
                • Green Latino
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
                    I still have not been convinced that non-citizens
                    should receive the right to vote in the District. Some
                    concerns:

                    - If non-citizens vote in DC, how can we ensure that
                    they given up the right to vote in the country in
                    which they retain citizenship? Or are they still
                    allowed to vote in both places?

                    There are countries around the world that allow double
                    citizenship and also US citizens can vote in local
                    elections in other European and Latin American
                    Countries. My dear friend Jeremy told me that his
                    father �a US citizen- living in Paraguay, voted in
                    local elections in Asuncion, the Nations Capital of
                    Paraguay. You can contact him at phpwiley@....

                    - Could non-citizens run for office?
                    Why not, If all or the majority of the residents
                    of this area think that a resident from Adams Morgan,
                    who is not a US citizens, would like to serve as an
                    ANC commissioner let him represent all of us.

                    - Why should we allow non-American citizens the right
                    to vote in local elections but not allow US citizens
                    who are not officially DC residents -- for whatever
                    reason -- to vote?
                    We are only talking about residents of the District
                    of Columbia who are not US citizens, who are tax
                    payers, send their children in our public school,
                    contribute to our local economy, who own houses and
                    are active in our local society.

                    - Do we allow foreign government officials who are now
                    living in DC as part of their official duties to vote
                    in DC? If not, how do we determine exactly which
                    non-citizens are and are not allowed to vote?
                    Foreign officials who live temporarily in DC do not
                    pay any taxes, they do not even pay sales taxes, they
                    do not participate in local politics, in fact they
                    represent their countries interest so they are not
                    part of our campaign.

                    - What are the protections against voter fraud? How
                    easy would it be for non-citizens living in MD and VA
                    to claim DC residency to get the right to vote? How
                    easy would it be to acquire fraudulent documents -- we
                    all know they are easy to obtain on Columbia Road --
                    to claim residency and the right to vote?

                    Members of Voting Rights for All DC Coalition
                    researched this issue extensively and I want to answer
                    this question saying that we believe in the system in
                    place at the Department of Motor Vehicle of the
                    District of Columbia. There is no way at person who do
                    not have proper documentation could get an ID from
                    them. Anyone who is not a US citizen must prove
                    his/her legal status in the US, before being issued a
                    DC identification card.
                    Fraudulent documents is a criminal matter that I am
                    sure the Metropolitan Police Department are working on
                    it, and believe me, anybody with a fake document would
                    dare to register to vote exposing himself/herself to
                    be caught and being deported.

                    We resident of the District of Columbia are also proud
                    of our men and women serving in the military, and
                    thousands of our sons and daughters are there now. We
                    know that after they serve the military they should
                    also have their right to vote. We believe in the
                    system and we are going to continue to work within the
                    system on this issue.

                    Mario Cristaldo

                    --- Joshua Freed <jsfreed@...> wrote:

                    ---------------------------------
> [...]

                    fast action over reasoned debate.

                    As an aside, simply because a non-citizen can serve in
                    the military does not alone provide a sufficient
                    justification to extend this right -- particularly
                    when military service is voluntary as there is no
                    draft.

                    >From: "Wallace Dickson"
                    >Subject: RE: [WardOneDC] Adams Morgan ANC 1C is
                    passing a resolution on behalf of voting right for non
                    US citizens
                    >Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 21:25:56 -0500
                    >
                    >Thanks for your response to my questions about this
                    issue.
                    >I was completely unaware of many of the facts you
                    have conveyed in
                    >support of voting rights for taxpaying residents
                    whether citizen or
                    >not.
                    >I was totally na�ve on this issue!
                    >I will have to reconsider my thinking on this issue

                    Refill Kits for
                    >your
                    > > HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer at MyInks.com.

                    > > Free s/h on
                    > > orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
                    > >
                    >http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/yUwplB/TM

                    > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    >Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                    >http://companion.yahoo.com/

                    >---------------------~--> Buy Ink Cartridges or
                    Refill Kits for your
                    >HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer at MyInks.com.
                    Free s/h on
                    >orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
                    >http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                    >http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/yUwplB/TM

                    >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Terms of Service.

                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                  • columbia_heights_native
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
                      This is a great resolution to pass and hopefully it will

                      wrote:
                      > Voting Rights for All DC Coalition
                      >
                      > Hi everybody,
                      >
                      > As you may all know the Adams Morgan ANC is going to
                      > be voting on the resolution to support voting rights
                      > for non US citizens in local elections in DC. I urge
                      > you to call this ANC commissioners to let them know
                      > the importance of passing this resolution for all of
                      > us in DC; the same way it was done in Mount Pleasant.
                      > Here is this ANCs phone numbers to call them all
                      > before next Tuesday Dec 3th. That day starting at 7:00
                      > Pm they are going to be meeting at the 3rd District
                      > Police Headquarters;17th and V Sts., NW.
                      > Lets all show up that day.
                      > You do not have to be from this ANC to call them to
                      > support our campaign to extend the right to vote in
                      > all local elections to all documented resident - non
                      > US citizens- of the District Of Columbia.Here is they
                      > information on line.
                      >
                      > http://www.anc1c.org/comm.html
                      >
                      > You can call, fax or email them asking them their
                      > support.
                      >
                      > We at the Coalition strongly believe in the 'great
                      > weight' rol that our elected ANC commissioners have in
                      > DC. Lets call them all before Wednesday night!
                      >
                      > If you have any comments, idea, suggestion and how to
                      > improve our appoach to ANCs or any other group about
                      > this campaign, please let us know
                      >
                      > Greetings,
                      > Mario Cristaldo
                      > (202) 328 8248
                      > Chair - Coordinator

                    • Green Latino
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 4, 2003
                        Hi everybody
                        I'd like to inform you that commissioners from Adams
                        Morgan spoke elocuently in favor of voting rights for
                        non US citizen in all local elections and passed this
                        resolution with 7 votos in favor and non against.
                        Right after they passed a resolution an ovation from
                        neighbors assisting the meeting.
                        Lets keep the issue moving. Members of the Coalition
                        will continue to work with other ANCs to pass similar
                        resolutions.
                        Hereby I would like to thank all of you who make
                        this campaign a reality. We are gaining great momentum
                        and we need to keep going. Lets support each other,
                        lets keep working together, we are in the right track.
                        If you want to help us with this campaign, please
                        contact us at (202) 328 9451 with Rodrigo Leiva or at
                        (202) 328 8248 with Mario Cristaldo

                        Greetings,
                        Mario Cristaldo
                        (202) 328 2848
                        Coordinator Voting Rights for All DC Coalition

                        --- columbia_heights_native