Will Graham Save the Stadium or Strike Out?

  • Dominic Sale
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2004

      Mayor seeks vote without Cropp
      http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20041108-011049-7110r.htm

      By Eric Fisher
      THE WASHINGTON TIMES

      District Mayor Anthony A. Williams, pushing to save his proposal for a ballpark in Southeast near the Anacostia River waterfront, seeks a majority vote on the D.C. Council without the aid of powerful chairwoman Linda Cropp.

          Long thought of as a key vote for the mayor's plan, Cropp sent shock waves through the city Friday with her last-minute plan to move the ballpark location to the grounds of RFK Stadium, a maneuver that would violate terms of the city's relocation agreement with Major League Baseball.

          But rather than hinge hopes on a resurrection of Cropp's support for the mayor's plan, city sources said yesterday Williams is looking for the majority seven votes without the powerful Cropp. Sources close to the mayor said Williams believes he has six solid votes, with a full-throttle effort under way to secure the crucial seventh.

          The full D.C. Council is scheduled to vote on the ballpark bill tomorrow. MLB is mandating legislative approval of financing for the Southeast site by Dec. 31.

          "[The Southeast plan] has got to get through on Tuesday," a city source close to the mayor said. "There's still technically time to come back if it doesn't, but it's going to be real tough."

          According to several city sources, the most likely road map for Williams to get to seven votes is with Democrats Jack Evans, Harold Brazil, Kevin Chavous, Vincent Orange, Sharon Ambrose, Jim Graham and Sandy Allen.

          Graham widely is seen as a potentially critical swing vote. The Ward 1 councilman strenuously lobbied for a direct link from the gross-receipts tax on large District businesses that would fund much of the ballpark costs to city amenities such as libraries and recreation centers.

          The mayor's staff has sought to do essentially that with the recent introduction of a $450 million community benefits fund. But the details on the measure, including the inclusion of a tax-increment financing district around the stadium and distribution of the benefit fund, remain sketchy.

          Meanwhile, Williams put together an aggressive public schedule for today to make his case for the Southeast site. The mayor will appear on several local broadcast outlets, hold a general press conference, and then make a public address on D.C. cable channel 16 at 8 p.m. to lobby for the Southeast site.

          Williams, who canceled a regular monthly legislative breakfast with the D.C. Council, also plans to meet today with business leaders and some individual council members.

          The mayor conducted several such meetings over the weekend, with yesterday's sessions including Ambrose, Allen, Graham, and Ward 3 Democrat Kathy Patterson.

          "This is all about reframing the debate," said Chris Bender, city spokesman. "He's going to be talking about the economic development that is eyed for the Southeast waterfront and giving people of that area the same type of development that has occurred in other parts of the city. He will also be talking about commitments, and how it's incumbent upon us as a city to keep our word."

          Cropp, who over the weekend was due to talk with both Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf, chairman of MLB's relocation committee, was unavailable for comment.

          The Washington Baseball Club, the prospective ownership group led by financier Fred Malek, also is jumping into the last-minute lobbying game. The group sent e-mails to the more than 20,000 people on its mailing list, imploring them to write council members urging their support of the Southeast stadium plan.

    • William Jordan
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2004

        Cropp's hit and run advances mayor's plan places Graham at plate to drive tying and/or winning runs home.   Cropp's move successfully shifts discussion  from whether MLB recieves free stadium to which free stadium they will get.

        A hit and run is usually a play designed to move a runner from first base into scoring position, while preventing a possible double play that could kill an inning.  Rarely is it used to advance a runner from second to third, because generally a runner on second already has a big lead and can score from second with a solid base hit.  Usually, it's safer to advance the runner from second to third with a sacrifice bunt, especially when the batter coming to the plate has no consistant history of delivering big base hits.

        With Allen pulled for the pinch hitter Chavous, Chavous moves to mayors plan to first base after being hit by a pitch that will likely end his professional career.   Brazil in the twilight of his career is brought in as a pinch runner for Chavous, as a thank you for his long career as a journeyman utility infielder.  Evans comes to bat and hits a deep, deep fly ball to left, that nearly clears the fence and ends the game with a victory for the mayor.   However,  Catania leaps at the wall and snags the ball, leaving Evans cussing and fussing as he heads to the dug out.  However, Brazil tags up, during Evan's hit and is able to advance to second with a head first slide, leaving him a little dizzy, but able to continue.

        With Brazil a little dizzy and limping, the mayor orders Cropp to pinch run for Brazil on second.  Cropp, viewing her self as a heavy htter with a bright future refuses to be put in a position of possibly not getting a turn at bat. No way to advance career being known as only a pinch runner replacing a washed up Brazil in the Mayor's big game.  She refuses.   She instead enters the game with as a pinch hitter for Patterson, with a run in scoring position at second.  Of course from the duggout the Mayor initially signals her to lay down a bunt,  she signals no way.  The Mayor has a dilemma, Graham is on deck, he makes contact with the ball but rarely drives in a run.  Brazil is on second with bad legs,  can only be expected to score from third.  Crop is determined not to sacrifice her at bat in such a big game, there's one out.  So the mayor calls a hit and run.  This allows Cropp to swing away.  He will start Brazil running, if Cropp scores a hit Brazil with the head start will be able to score from second.   If she swings and misses Brazil may make it to third and not be thrown out by the catcher.  Even if Brazil is thrown out, Cropp still be at bat. Cropp can still hit a home run and win/tie the game or get a multi-base hit with a contact hitter Graham at the plate with 2 outs.  The risk is Cropp may line out into the infield doubling Brazil up at second, game over 3 outs.

        Cropps steps to the plate.  The the shortstop is playing in, third is playing in and guarding the line.  First base is guarding the line and Fenty at second is a littled distracted,  he's trying the hold the runner at second, while guarding against "singles" in the second base hole.   The runner goes, the pitch is headed to the plate, Cropp drives a line shot to the hole at second.  Fenty leaps un able to make the play in the big leagues, he is able to kncok down Cropps hard driving hit.  Fenty get to ball, checks the runner at third, but Cropp is able to beat out the throw to first.

        The stage is set.  1 out, runners at the corners.  Graham is coming to the plate.  Graham is a vetern contact hitter, who rarely strikesout, but in not known for delivering the big hit. But seems to all ways find himself at the plate with the game on the line  He's sort of a controversial figure, he was just picked up by the Mayor as a free agent, having retire from the opposing team.  Just days before he almost missed the mayors call, while down negoiating for the manager's position for the opposings team's AAA minor league ball club, clearing out team minor leaguers he does not like.

        The infield is playing in to make a play at home, the runner is being held at third.  The outfield is also playing close to make a throw at home, since Graham is no threat for a long ball.  The pitch, Graham makes solid contact.... Stay Tuned

        Dominic Sale wrote:

[...]

      • Jeremy Grant
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
          Tell WTOP to call off their hunt...I do believe our new baseball team
          has just found its play-by-play announcer!

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 13, 2004

            Graham rips the ball up the first base line!.., ah, just foul.  Runners return to the corners, Cropp to first and Brazil limps back to third.  Pitcher goes into his stretch,  Cropp takes a big league off of first.  Looks like she going to run.  Graham digs in at the batters box, but he's a switch hitter so he's moved to bat from the right side.    The pitcher looks to first, then home, back to first, then home, he steps off the rubber,  Cropp slides back to first,  asks for a time out, granted.   The Mayor comes out of the dugout and moves quickly toward first base, and engages Cropp.   I wish I could read lips, but body language indicates the discussion is pretty heated.   Graham, walks up the first base line to join the discussion, but is waved away by both parties and returns to the area of the batters box, switches back to left side to bat.

            The umpire makes his way out to first base to seperate Cropp and the Mayor,  with a wink and  nod the Mayor heads back to the dugout.  Relays the signals, Grahams digs in at the plate, batting now from the right.  Fans, this is quite a game, victory hangs in the balance, of does it?  Umpire signals "pay ball", piticher, goes back into his stretch.  Looks home, back to first, home,  the run goes, Cropp is headed to second, pitcher throws to first.   First baseman throws to second, cuts Cropp off, she heads pack to first, she caught in a run down, or what we say use to say back in little league a "pickle".   As the pitcher, first baseman, second baseman, and shortstop execute a perfect run down of Cropp, Fans and know-it-alls critique her poor base running,  Brazil virtually ignored at third is slowly easing down the third base line toward home.

            Ah, brillant but risky play.  It was a called play, after some heated exchanges, Cropp agreed to a play from the pickup game sandlot play book.  As all are focused on getting Cropp out in the run down,  Brazil is going to take off for home plate, just as the play is being made to tag Cropp out sliding back to either base.  Brazil will score, Cropp although she will likely be tagged out will score so points for standing  up to the Mayor, but will be a hero at the same time with the insiders for sacrificing herself to bring the runner home. Graham, will keep is at bat to swing again, but will not be needed for the key run, shifting his negoiating leverage come contract time.  Ah, baseball I love this game....,  but can it be,  will it be executed..., depends on how the ball bounces.  In little league the runner on third almost aways scores, In the big leagues generally Cropp will be tagged out, while doubling up Brazil as an out at the plate, inning over. Or at least Cropp will be ignored after a few throws, and a quick throw home getting Brazil at the plate (bigger leaguers know to keep an eye on the lead runner and how many outs there are.).  Stay Tuned... I guess we will find out who is in the big leagues and who are playing at the little league level... again Stay Tuned....