DC LATINO CAUCUS DENOUNCES REMARKS MADE BY U.S. CONGRESSMAN STEVE KING

  • Franklin Garcia
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2013

    District of Columbia
    Latino Caucus

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    CONTACT:

    Juan Camilo Barragan                                                             Gabriela Mossi

    (202) 670-5603                                                                       202 320 6965

    juan.barragan@...                                                          gabriela.mossi@...

    DC LATINO CAUCUS DENOUNCES REMARKS MADE BY U.S. CONGRESSMAN STEVE KING

    The DC Latino Caucus strongly denounces recent remarks made by Iowa Republican Congressman Steve King about DREAMERS.  This week, Congressman King said about young undocumented people, known as DREAMERS, that "for every one who's a valedictorian, there's another 100 out there that weigh 130 pounds and they've got calves the size of cantaloupes because they're hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert."   A few weeks prior, in another public engagement, the Congressman had likened immigrants to dogs.  Last Sunday, on the national Univision program Al Punto with Jorge Ramos, when asked to apologize for the dog reference, the Congressman refused to offer an apology and responded that people who understand the language and culture know what he was saying.

    At a time when many are working on coming together to address the challenges we face in our nation, including fixing our broken immigration system, Congressman King’s racist and divisive remarks are a distraction to the work many are doing to improve the lives of all Americans.

    Congressman King’s remarks have shamed his colleagues, his Party, and have done great harm to young people and many immigrants committed to strengthening our nation.  Congressman King represents what is wrong with today’s Congress, and he is an embarrassment to the people of Iowa.  He should spare further embarrassment to his constituency and resign immediately.

    We call on House Speaker John Boehner to make use of House rules to reprimand Congressman Steve King and send a strong message because, as he says, “ there's no place in this debate for hateful or ignorant comments from elected officials."

    DC Latino Caucus