Free Money Management 101 Financial Education Series - Hosted by CAAB, Mary's Center and funded by DC OLA!

  • Barragan, JuanCamilo (EOM)
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2013
      From: Linda Stroman [mailto:lstroman@...]
      Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 2:37 PM
      To: Linda Stroman
      Subject: FW: Free Money Management 101 Financial Education Series - Hosted by CAAB, Mary's Center and funded by DC OLA!

      Just another reminder. Thanks so much for your help!

      Linda Easley Stroman
      Director of Financial Education
      Capital Area Asset Builders (CAAB)
      1444 I (Eye) Street, NW
      Suite 201
      Washington, DC 20005
      Office: 202-419-1440 x109
      Work Cell: 202-375-9175
      Fax: 202-419-1447

      Hello:

      I am writing to announce an exciting event taking place at the Mt. Pleasant Library titled Money Management 101. This is a free, five-class series on how individuals, couples and families can understand and analyze their behavior with money and how to bring a balanced and stress-free approach to manage their finances! The entire series is delivered in Spanish!

      Capital Area Asset Builders, better known as CAAB, is the organization hosting this event along with Mary’s Center. The District of Columbia’s Office of Latino Affairs has provided funding for us to offer this to the public. The classes include:

      Money Management 101 Series
      Class #1 – Understanding Your Financial Behavior
      Class #2 – The Art of Budgeting
      Class #3 – Take Charge of Your Credit
      Class #4 – Know Your Financial Rights
      Class #5 – Pay Yourself First

      Our grant with DC OLA also allows us the opportunity to offer individuals who qualify the chance to be open an IDA account through CAAB. An Individual Development Account (IDA) is an Escrow account which is established with Citibank by CAAB on behalf of the participant. The participant is given the opportunity to save up to $1000 in their IDA and have their savings matched at a rate of 3:1 for a total of up to $3000 in matching funds towards their savings. The total in their IDA including participant savings and matching funds may be used towards a first-time home purchases, qualified continuing education expenses and the start-up or expansion costs of a small business. We have approximately seven (7) slots available and the opportunity will be for those who complete the financial education series at the library. (Note: MM 101 is a requirement for the IDA program and will be taught in Spanish at this event only)

      Attached is an overview of the financial education series and the flyer in Spanish and English with the location, times and registration information for distribution. The particulars regarding the financial education series are below:

      When: Saturdays Only, April 27, 2013 through June 1, 2013; (Skipping April 25, 2013 because of Memorial Day Weekend) – Five, two-hour classes
      Time: 10am-12pm each Saturday
      Location: Mt. Pleasant Library, 3160 16th Street, NW, DC 20010
      Cost: Free
      Registration:
      For individuals who speak Spanish only: Contact – Violeta Chirino, Mary’s Center – 202- 729-6823; Email: vchirino@maryscenter
      For individuals who speak English: Contact – Linda Easley Stroman, CAAB – 202-419-1440 x109; lstroman@...<mailto:lstroman@...>

      Please provide your name, email address and phone number so we can send a reminder prior to the start of the series
      This is a series for adults, 18 years or older and the entire series will be taught in Spanish.
      CAAB will provide all copies of class materials which include powerpoints, handouts, and exercises. Participants will need a pen to take notes.

      Mt. Pleasant Library provides ample space for large classes and I hope you will be able to register your customers, staff and family members for this event. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me.

      Thank you for your help with putting the word out about this opportunity!

      Linda Easley Stroman
      Director of Financial Education
      Capital Area Asset Builders (CAAB)
      1444 I (Eye) Street, NW
      Suite 201
      Washington, DC 20005
      Office: 202-419-1440 x109
      Work Cell: 202-375-9175
      Fax: 202-419-1447

      Announcing: Expanded Hours!<www.maryscenter.org/expanded-hours>
      Monday 8:00am-10:00pm - Tues-Sat 8:00am-6:30pm
      To make an appointment, call (202) 483-8196

      Save the date for our 25th Anniversary Gala
      October 18th,
      Early bird tickets are just $225<http://www.maryscenter.org/gala>

      [http://www.maryscenter.org/sites/default/files/MC%20Anniversary%20logo_1_0.jpg%5d<http://www.maryscenter.org>

      Announcing: Expanded Hours!<www.maryscenter.org/expanded-hours>
      Monday 8:00am-10:00pm - Tues-Sat 8:00am-6:30pm
      To make an appointment, call (202) 483-8196

      Save the date for our 25th Anniversary Gala
      October 18th,
      Early bird tickets are just $225<http://www.maryscenter.org/gala>

      [http://www.maryscenter.org/sites/default/files/MC%20Anniversary%20logo_1_0.jpg%5d<http://www.maryscenter.org>

      Announcing: Expanded Hours!<www.maryscenter.org/expanded-hours>
      Monday 8:00am-10:00pm - Tues-Sat 8:00am-6:30pm
      To make an appointment, call (202) 483-8196

      Save the date for our 25th Anniversary Gala
      October 18th,
      Early bird tickets are just $225<http://www.maryscenter.org/gala>

      [http://www.maryscenter.org/sites/default/files/MC%20Anniversary%20logo_1_0.jpg%5d<http://www.maryscenter.org>

      April is National 9-1-1 Education Month!
      Create a Safety Profile for your household at Smart911.com.
      It’s free, 100% private and secure. Help 9-1-1, help you!