Message from Fire and Emergency Services.

  • Jim Graham
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2012

      Dear Friends, I have been asked to send this message to Ward 1 lists serves. I am pleased to do so, since I have heard questions from the community on this new approach. Bests Councilmember Jim Graham

      From Fire and EMS Department:

      The Fire and EMS Department is planning to redeploy fourteen (14) ambulances to better meet the needs of District residents during medical emergencies. Last year, fire trucks and ambulances responded to more than 160,000 calls and transported 100,000 patients to local hospitals. 80% of 9-1-1 calls answered by the Fire and EMS Department are for medical emergencies. According to information analyzed by the Department, most calls occur during the day and are concentrated in three areas of the City. By changing the working hours and locations of these ambulances, the Department will have more units to send on calls when and where they are most needed.

      The Department’s redeployment plan will increase the number of ambulances from thirty nine (39) to forty five (45) during the busiest times of day (1 PM to 7 PM). During the slowest times (1 AM to 7 AM), twenty five (25) ambulances will still be on duty to answer calls. On average, each of these ambulances will respond to fewer than three (3) calls during overnight hours. Paramedics, riding on fire trucks and supervisor vehicles, will provide more help if needed, just as they do now, 24 hours per day, 365 days per year. The Fire and EMS Department will carefully monitor and evaluate the redeployment changes, after implementation. If service capacity and performance substantially decreases, the Department will make necessary adjustments to increase ambulance staffing during the overnight hours.

      I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me. For most effective communication, please use my direct email address: jim@...

      Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105, Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).

      Chairman, Committee on Human Services (including alcohol regulation). Main Committee Number: 202-724-8191. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #116, Washington, DC 20004.

      Website: www.grahamwone.com