RE: Donate to repair Earthquake damaged Ward 1 Affordable Housing....

  • Parisa Norouzi
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks to those who alerted me there was a problem with online giving last
    week - it has been fixed! Many thanks for donations, large or small!

    NEIGHBORS:

    Thank you to everyone who has supported our fundraising drive thus far. We
    have raised $2,000 of the $15,000 needed for repairs to our building.
    Donations of any amount are appreciated, and can be given online at:
    http://www.gofundme.com/7rvoo?r=3696 or by check to Ella Jo Baker Co-op c/o
    Empower DC, 1419 V St, NW Washington, DC. Thanks for your support!

    ------------------------

    The Ella Jo Baker Intentional Community Cooperative is a 15-unit affordable
    housing cooperative and intentional community consisting of people who share
    a history of community activism and fighting for social justice. The
    Cooperative was founded in 2003 and is legally restricted to be affordable
    to people of low and moderate incomes for 100 years. As a "limited-equity"
    property, the property can not be converted to condo or sold at market rate,
    preserving badly needed affordable housing in the Columbia Heights
    community. Ella Jo Baker Cooperative members include community organizers,
    holistic health practitioners and artists who have dedicated themselves to
    community issues in the immediate area as well as city-wide.

    When the earthquake struck on August 23, part of the cooperative's property
    was badly damaged. The damage was both structural and cosmetic in nature,
    causing the displacement of 3 members. It will cost over $15,000 to repair
    the damage, and none of the expenses will be covered by insurance due to the
    damage originating from the earthquake.

    Please help us repair the Cooperative, bring the 3 displaced members home,
    and save this important affordable housing community for future residents.
    Checks can be made out to Ella Jo Baker Cooperative and sent c/o Empower DC,
    1419 V St, NW Washington, DC. You will receive a letter acknowledging
    receipt of your donation. Questions may be directed to Parisa Norouzi of
    Empower DC (a cooperative member - not one of the displaced) at
    Parisa@... or (202) 234-9119. Many thanks for your support!