Re: ANC redistricting

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
      Councilmember Graham complains about the tone of my posting -- "very unfair" -- and he has a point. The various councilmembers choosing task force members weren't intentionally selecting a set dominated by residents of one of the four ANCs. That's just how it turned out, by accident. But this outcome still causes one to question the justice of this group deciding matters for all four ANCs -- Jack

    • whj@melanet.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011

        If the process was more open, participatory and transparent this probably would not be an issue.  The task force chair indicated that he told the CM that the process because of the chairs travel schedule would not be readily accessible.  Whether your comments have strong merit or not is debatable, but they are more than fair.  I'm glad that you are pushing.

        William

> [...]

        > > > I've initiated a public discussion of possible new boundaries on the
        > > > Columbia Heights
        > > > board:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/columbia_heights/message/35262
        > > > While it's not necessary that ANC boundaries change, the changes in
        > > > population in the ward may lead to changes. ANC 1B, in particular, would
        > > > grow to an unwieldy 13 commissioners if its boundaries aren't changed.
        > > > The Task Force met on August 2, but has released no information on that
        > > > meeting, nor its proceedings since that meeting. Whatever discussions
        > > > they've had during the past two weeks have not been open to the public.
        > > > IMHO this operation is seriously lacking in public transparency. No
        > > > meeting to present plans to the public, for dialog with the public, is
        > > > scheduled until September 27, six weeks from now, and uncomfortably
        > > > close to the October 12 deadline for completion.

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        WardOneDC-digest@yahoogroups.com
        WardOneDC-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jack
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2011
          William is correct: if we could be allowed to observe the process, then we might gain some confidence in it. But the Ward One ANC Redistricting Task Force is operating in total secrecy. We have no idea what ANC and SMD boundary changes it is considering. The results -- not the details of how the end results were obtained, just their final results -- will be revealed to us sometime next week. Then there will be one (1) meeting for public commentary on those results, before it's all shipped off to the Council. Transparency? For this Task Force, there's no such thing. And that contributes to the skepticism in the validity of their results. -- Jack

          --- In WardOneDC@yahoogroups.com, whj@... wrote:

          > If the process was more open, participatory and transparent this probably would not be an issue. The task force chair indicated that he told the CM that the process because of the chairs travel schedule would not be readily accessible. Whether your comments have strong merit or not is debatable, but they are more than fair. I'm glad that you are pushing.
          >
          > William

        • Jack
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2011
            To summarize my reasons why this ANC redistricting process is dreadful -- some reasons inherent in the design of the process, some in the manner in which the process has been carried out:

            (1) The redistricting process should start with the ANC boundaries, then division into SMDs. It makes no sense to create the single-member districts, then force the ANC boundaries to suit them. No one has explained why this cart-before-the-horse process is correct, much less appropriate.
            (2) The composition of the Task Force ought to be fairly representative of the ward. It wasn't intentional, but our Task Force turned out to be dominated by 1A residents, and they're going to determine the results for all four (or five? if they so choose) ANCs. 1A has five residents on the task force, 1B and 1C just two, and 1D only one. How is that fair?
            (3) Appointees who don't live in an ANC shouldn't be controlling the determination of SMD boundaries within an ANC. Take 1B for an example, with as many as 13 SMDs, if their boundaries aren't changed. Why should the SMD boundaries be determined by a task force with only two 1B residents, of ten on this group? That's like having the District's wards decided by a task force made up of Maryland residents. I wonder how the District Councilmembers would feel about that!
            (4) Above all, the process ought to be open to public view, and receptive to public opinion and participation. Instead, it's being conducted in total secrecy, with no public hearings, no discussions open to public view, no opportunity for the people, or the existing ANCs, to have any part in the process.

            It's been a full month since this task force began its work. We have not a clue about its proposals or plans for our ward. Four, or five ANCs? ANC boundaries changed to prevent commissions from becoming too large, or too small? Or left unchanged? Or modified to make SMDs fit into that 1900-2100 box, regardless of logical ANC boundaries? By the time we find out, it will be too late to have any substantial effect on the results. Whatever this nonrepresentative, arbitrarily selected task force decides, will be it. And whatever the results, we'll be stuck with them for the next ten years.

            -- Jack

            --- In WardOneDC@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <abuelo_jack@...> wrote:

            > William is correct: if we could be allowed to observe the process, then we might gain some confidence in it. But the Ward One ANC Redistricting Task Force is operating in total secrecy. We have no idea what ANC and SMD boundary changes it is considering. The results -- not the details of how the end results were obtained, just their final results -- will be revealed to us sometime next week. Then there will be one (1) meeting for public commentary on those results, before it's all shipped off to the Council. Transparency? For this Task Force, there's no such thing. And that contributes to the skepticism in the validity of their results. -- Jack
            >
            > --- In WardOneDC@yahoogroups.com, whj@ wrote:
            > >

            > > If the process was more open, participatory and transparent this probably would not be an issue. The task force chair indicated that he told the CM that the process because of the chairs travel schedule would not be readily accessible. Whether your comments have strong merit or not is debatable, but they are more than fair. I'm glad that you are pushing.
            > >
            > > William

          • Jack
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 9, 2011
              I have to post a correction to my summary of complaints about the ANC redistricting process. I said that the Ward One Task Force is dominated by residents of ANC 1A, five of the ten members being such. Turns out that the correct number is six, of eleven. Residents of 1A have a majority on the task force, and are in a position to call the shots for every part of the ward.

              The DC Code is explicit on this matter: "In appointing the members of a ward task force, each Councilmember shall give full consideration to assuring fair representation for all racial and ethnic minorities, women, and geographical areas in his or her ward." Re "geographical areas", this clearly did not happen.

            • Jack
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2012
                The redistricting of ANCs, including ANC and SMD (single-member district) boundary changes to adjust for the population changes determined by the 2010 census, remains in a state of some confusion. The District Council had scheduled the completion of this job by January. But the final boundaries have not yet been determined.

                The current state of ANC/SMD boundaries can be found in maps posted by the Office of Planning here:

                The redistricting task force provided two recommendations, one of which would divide Ward One into 5 ANCs, separating off the eastern portions of 1A/1B into a new ANC. That alternative seems to have disappeared, without explanation.

                A posting in Greater Greater Washington addresses the present situation, with a focus on Ward 5:  The DC Council was supposed to codify the new Advisory Neighborhood Commission and Single Member District boundaries right after the first of the year. We are days away from March, and the council has not adopted these changes. Meanwhile, the boundaries continue shifting based on discussions behind closed doors.

                -- Jack
              • whj@melanet.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 28, 2012

                  This may mean that their is still an opportunity to press for the more workable 5 ANC approach for Ward 1 with a Georgia Ave ANC.

                  http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/13853/anc-boundaries-still-not-final-shift-in-secret/#comments