DC Preservation League Upcoming Events

  • Amanda
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011

      DC Preservation League Upcoming Events

      www.dcpreservation.org

      Tuesday, July, 12, 2011

      Historically Green Open House

      Mt. Pleasant

      1724 Park Road, NW

      6:30 - 8:00PM

      The early 20th century saw the advent of a new type of Washington row house that was designed with more street frontage, a shallower floor plan, and a covered front porch. These innovations provided better lighting and air circulation within the structure – a necessity in humid Washington summers – and encouraged community relations.

      Today, these porches serve their original purposes of animating streets and engendering community while the structure provides a renewable canvas for those looking to promote sustainability and energy efficiency in an historic context.

      Join developer Jimmy Edgerton (jWEST Solutions, Inc.) and architect, Dave Bloom (DB Architecture) for an open house showcasing the design and technology solutions utilized in this recent condo conversion to retain historic integrity while encouraging an energy-conscious lifestyle.

      Applying for LEED-Silver Certification under LEED for Homes

      Light refreshments.

      FREE to DCPL Members

      $20 for Non-Members

      CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

      Thursday, July 14, 2011

      A Civil Union: Marrying the Historic and Modern

      St. Thomas' Parish

      1772 Church Street, NW

      6:00 - 8:00PM

      In 1970 St. Thomas Episcopal Church was destroyed by arson, leaving only the Altar and parish hall as remnants of the 1894 Gothic structure. Following the fire, the congregation renovated what remained of the parish hall, and converted the space where the edifice once stood to a park for the surrounding community to enjoy.

      Join Matthew Jarvis of AURAFORM Architects for a presentation on the history and artifacts gathered for inspiration in creating a vision for St. Thomas' new sanctuary.

      $15 DCPL Members

      $25 Non-Members

      Space is limited.

      Sign up today!

      CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

      Saturday, July 16, 2011

      Walking Tour of St. Elizabeths West Campus

      10:00am - 11:00am

      Join the DC Preservation League in partnership with the General Services Administration for a walking tour of the historic west campus of St. Elizabeths Hospital, a National Historic Landmark.

      Tours of the St. Elizabeths campus are being offered on a limited basis depending on the course of construction activity. Tours will include an historical overview of the site, access to the point, and exterior views of the Center Building and Burroughs Cottage.

      Space is limited and reservations are required. Because of security issues walk-ons will not be permitted on the tour.

      This tour fills up fast.

      Reserve your spot now.

      Walk-ins are NOT permitted on this tour!

      CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

      www.dcpreservation.org

      Amanda McDonald

      Events and Administrative Manager

      DC Preservation League

      401 F Street, NW, Suite 324

      Washington, DC 20001

      T 202.783.5144

      F 202.783.5596

      www.dcpreservation.org

      Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

    • Amanda
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2012

        Saturday, March 31, 2012

        Protecting Public Spaces

        Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church

        201 Fourth Street, SE

        10:00am - 11:30pm

        Metro Station: Capitol South or Eastern Market (Orange/Blue Line)

        We all use public space every day.  It's where we walk to work, ride our bike or walk the dog, sip a latte at a sidewalk café, or sit on a bench and enjoy a sunny day.  The District's public space regulations reinforce several big ideas that make public space one of the most important elements that give our city its park-like character and image.  It sets Washington, DC, apart from other urban municipalities.

        Please join DC Preservation League as we learn from Chris Shaheen from the DC Office of Planning about the history of our public space, how its evolution over the past 200 years has defined the District, what regulations we have that protect and maintain this resource, and what we can do to ensure our traditions for using public space continue into the 21st century.

        Sign up Today!

        Member $15

        Non Member $25

        Click Here to Register! Or go to:

        https://dcpres.wufoo.com/forms/s7p4a1/

        Saturday, March 17, 2012

        St Elizabeths Walking Tour

        10:00am - 11:30am

        Join the DC Preservation League in partnership with the General Services Administration for a walking tour of the historic west campus of St. Elizabeths Hospital, a National Historic Landmark. Tours of the St. Elizabeths campus are being offered on a limited basis depending on the course of construction activity. Tours will include an historical overview of the site, access to the point, and exterior views of the Center Building and Burroughs Cottage.

        Space is limited and reservations are required.

        Because of security issues walk-ons will not be permitted on the tour.

        Click Here to Register! Or go to:

        https://dcpres.wufoo.com/forms/w7x3z9/

        Save the Date!
        Friday, May 18, 2012

        Historic Preservation 101/201

        Gallaudet University, Kellogg Conference Center
        800 Florida Avenue, NE

        9:00 am - 12:00 pm

        Join the DC Preservation League, DC Real Estate Commission and District of Columbia Board of Real Estate Appraisers for educational sessions that examine historic preservation in Washington.

        Registration will begin April 1st!

        Thursday, April 26, 2012

        DC Preservation League Annual Fundraiser
        The Equitable Co-Operative Building
        915 F Street, NW

        6:30 - 8:00pm

        Registration Coming Soon.

        Click here for more information or to become a sponsor!

        http://www.dcpreservation.org/2012Fundraiser.html