Fwd: FW: Ask President Obama to Stand Up for DC on June 25

  • Brianne K. Nadeau
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2011
      FYI

      From: Ilir Zherka [mailto:info@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 2:32 PM
      To: Abby Levine
      Subject: Ask President Obama to Stand Up for DC on June 25

      DC Vote

      Working to End Taxation Without Representation

      Donate Now

      Shop DC Vote

      Contact Us

      DC has suffered unprecedented abuses in 2011. Are you tired of DC residents being treated like second-class citizens? Join us for a White House Rally on Saturday, June 25 at 11:00 AM, and tell President Obama to stand up for DC!

      Our actions are making a difference. In response to our protests, the White House threatened a veto of a bill that violates DC Home Rule and Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), Chairman of the House Oversight Subcommittee, declared "I was not elected to be D.C. mayor, and I don't aspire to be."

      In the coming weeks, however, we expect more assaults on DC's local laws, including marriage equality. As the Washington Post stated, "Obama and Senate Democrats would oppose such a move, but it’s unclear whether they consider the issue a deal-breaker" in negotiations on the national debt ceiling and the 2012 budget.

      We must voice loud opposition to convince our friends that infringement on DC's autonomy IS a deal-breaker. The stakes are high, and you can make a difference. RSVP now to attend the White House Rally for DC Democracy with DC Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton, DC Vote, the National Urban League, the National Organization of Women, the Women's National Democratic Club, Alliance For Justice, the Anacostia Coordinating Council and others. It will be a family-friendly event with musical performances, inspirational speakers, a poster-making station and more. Are you with us?

      Here are all the rally details:

      Date: Saturday June 25, 2011
      Time: 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
      Location: Lafayette Square, 16th & H St NW
      Metro: Farragut West (Orange & Blue lines)
      Click here to RSVP

      Want to get more involved? Sign up to be an organizer for the rally. We are asking rally organizers to recruit people by doing at least one of the following things:

      1) Sending personal emails
      2) Distributing flyers
      3) Recruiting rally participants at community events
      4) Forwarding this email to your neighborhood listserv

      Sign up now and we will be in touch with more details.

      Sponsorship opportunities are also available for organizations. Click here for the sponsorship form.

      We look forward to seeing you at DC Vote's first White House rally!

      Sincerely,

      Ilir Zherka
      Executive Director

      Content and images copyright © 2003-2011 DC Vote. All rights reserved. CFC #66340. Terms and Conditions
      "DC Vote" and "Taxation Without Representation" are registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
      DC Vote · 2000 P Street, NW, Suite 200 · Washington, DC 20036 · 202.462.6000 · Fax 202.462.7001 · info@...

      Click here to log into the DC Vote Web site to manage your contact information and e-mail preferences.
      Click here to stop receiving all e-mails from DC Vote.

      --
      www.BrianneKN.com
      @BrianneKN