Passing of Brother Hodari Abdul-Ali

  • SYLVIA ROBINSON
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2011
      Greetings,

      With sadness I am forwarding the following message which was posted on Facebook yesterday.  Brother Hodari's founding of the Pyramid Bookstore on Georgia Avenue is featured on the Georgia Avenue/Pleasant Plains Heritage Trail.  We interviewed him for the trail in December 2007 and I was impressed by the work he had done and the message he carried forward.  He will be missed.

      Sylvia

      "The family of Brother Hodari Abdul-Ali wishes to share with you that Hodari returned to his Creator on Saturday, April 30, 2011 surrounded by his wife and children.

      A janazza (funeral pray service) is planned for Monday, May 2 at 1:30pm following slat thur (noon prayer) at Masjid Muhammad. The Mosque is located at 1519 Islamic Way (4th Street, NW near the intersection of New Jersey Avenue and P Street, NW) in Washington, D.C. ...A public Memorial is being planned. Details of the Memorial will be announced as details are confirmed.

      Hodari was celebrated by his friends and family less than a week before he left us. The outpouring of love was so valuable to him and appreciated beyond words. He delighted in the songs and the words of praise and honor. The Langston Room at Busboys and Poets we filled to the brim. And though nearly 100 people could not get into the room, they stayed in the restaurant just to show their support.

      Please continue our support of Hodari by making a financial contribution to help his family to defray costs. You can make a secure donation via PayPal. Go to www.PayPal.com. Click on "send money." Enter in the amount of your contribution, and then the following email for the payee account: sadiq.akmal@.... The funds will be sent safely and securely and will be used for his burial and to assist his widow and their family needs.

      Please post your messages for Brother Hodari's family on this Facebook page. The family will draw from our energy for strength in the coming weeks. The family has requested financial contribution in lieu of flowers or cards.

      Hodari Abdul-Ali was an international peacemaker who has combined a career of business, journalism and community activism and who has helped create understanding about Muslims around the world.

      A prominent, respected and well-known figure throughout the National Capital area, the United States and globally, Brother Hodari has campaigned tirelessly for the rights of the oppressed over the years. His tireless intervention has made a difference in the lives of many. He has been a frequent traveler to Africa, and he has led numerous fact-finding missions to The Continent.

      Brother Hodari came to Washington from his native San Diego, California to attend Howard University. At Howard he served as Editor-In-Chief of the campus newspaper, The Hilltop, then the only daily newspaper on an HBCU campus. He went on to established legendary political book stores, Pyramid Books and Dar Esalaam Health Center.

      Over the years he has worked with a number of publications and currently is host of “The Struggle Continues,” a weekly public affairs program on Pacifica Radio station WPFW-FM in Washington, D.C. For several years he hosted “Freedom Sounds,” a Jazz and community outreach program which was the top fund raiser in the morning drive-time slot, on non-commercial WPFW.

      Hodari is survived by his wife Ayana, his four children, sons Haziq, Sadiq, Muhahid and daughter Qadira. His also leaves six siblings K. Rashid Nuri, Kikanza Nuri, Julianna Scales, Shirin Nuri, Michelle Streeter and James Woodard.

      "From Allah we are created and to Allah we return. May Allah wipe away his sins and shower him with mercy and welcome him into jannahtal fidous (highest rank of paradise)."