More Info on Closed Cases: CCJAI: Write Community Impact Statements Now to Close the Revolving Door!

  • Cecilia Jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2010
    Happy New Year to All!

    A question has come up often: Do Community Impact Statements make a difference? Answer? YES THEY CAN!

    As I've been reflecting on the past year, I've spent a little time toying with the CCJAI database. I've attached a sample of CCJAI closed cases for you to look at. Since CCJAI began, we've tracked well over 500 cases and 423 of those are now closed. The attached file includes 158 selected cases--some where a Community Impact Statement was submitted and some were not. The results are listed (if you don't understand the notation, please ask.)

    In the attached file, the defendant's names highlighted in red are repeats, just in our database (since January 2009). The two cases highlighted in yellow were co-defendants where I think the situation bears watching (one was convicted, one was acquitted, and the criminal activity still continues, as far as I know).

    From the data analysis I have time for, it would be foolish to try to make a firm pronouncement that Community Impact Statements make sentences longer or more effective in reducing recidivism. There are many factors that judges consider when making sentencing decision that CCJAI is not privy to. Even when I've had the time to follow up with the prosecutor, it's impossible to know for sure why judges decide the way they do (and they generally will not share their thought process).

    Still, I can say with certainty that CCJAI and the submission of 70 Community Impact Statements to the DC Superior Courts has made a difference in our process and our experience. At all ends of the process, people are more aware and more engaged. Better communication between government agencies has occurred and some real issues have been recognized and resolved. CCJAI is enjoying broad support from our stakeholders and partners--we are now poised to enter 2011 with a ROARING start!

    As anecdotal examples, I could recite many stories of "home-runs" including some in other parts of the city, through the hard work of others, inspired by CCJAI's good example. CCJAI has had some tough cases, but through it all, we have learned, engaged the community, and really let those in positions of power know we're watching, and that we stand ready to intervene.

    Next Steps:

    There will be a series of Community Public Forums on our criminal justice system, hosted by the Northwest Columbia Heights Community Association. These meetings will include special guests (subject matter experts) from government agencies. The format will be part speaker/panel, and part small-group discussion, lead by community members.

    Location: St Stephen and the Incarnation Episcopal Church, 1525 Newton Street NW, Washington, DC 20010, Upstairs Auditorium
    Dates: Tuesday January 18, 2011; Tuesday February 15, 2011; Tuesday March 15, 2011

    There will be a CCJAI Stakeholders/Partners Planning meeting coming up in the Spring. We will broaden our group of stakeholders and channel resources, to make 2011 an even more productive year.

    The Northwest Columbia Heights will host a third Criminal Justice Community Public Forum after the Stakeholders meeting. Leaders from the entire spectrum of criminal justice agencies will be invited to participate. I've attached an audio clip from NPR's Morning Edition on WAMU and a photo from similar events in years past. I hope you'll plan to come--I'll let everyone know as soon as the date is set.

    More information about Community Impact Statements and current cases pending sentencing are in the e-mail below. Also, please let me know if there are any cases you would like to see looked into.

    Take care & enjoy the celebration!

    Cecilia Jones
    President, Northwest Columbia Heights Community Association (NWCHCA)
    202-299-7868 (cell)
    www.nwchca.org

    “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” --Mahatma Gandhi