What's New at Howard (11/04)

    What s New at Howard (11/04)Good Afternoon! Today is Thursday, November 4, 2010 What’s New at Howard? ... THE SEATTLE MEDIUM Black Males Missing From College
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4 12:07 PM
      What's New at Howard (11/04)
      Good Afternoon!
      Today is Thursday, November 4, 2010

      What’s New at Howard?

      >>>Howard in the Media<<<

      Black Males Missing From College Campuses
      “That’s where the Man Up program at Howard University comes in. Like student retention efforts at other HBCUs, Man Up is a peer-mentor support program designed “to keep our men in school and help them to matriculate successfully,” said Lincoln Brown Jr., who oversees the program.”

      A Commitment to Stopping Domestic Violence
      -Article about the opening of a domestic violence center, “Still I Rise,” founded by Glenda Hodges, director of the program in Spirituality and Medicine at Howard University Hospital

      >>>Excellence at Howard: Health Sciences Senior Vice President Scores Another First<<<

      Dr. Eve J. Higginbotham, senior vice president and executive dean of Health Sciences received the prestigious Heed Award from the Society of Heed Fellows during the 2010 American Academy of Ophthalmology meeting in Chicago.  She is the first woman to receive the award in its 45-year history. The Society of Heed Fellows is a charitable and educational foundation that provides funding for post-graduate studies in ophthalmology and the ophthalmic sciences and annually awards a former fellow for outstanding performance.

      Recipients are awarded for major contributions to ophthalmology as an educator, clinician, and/or as investigator; outstanding original discoveries or investigations that have produced major advancements in the field of ophthalmology and long-term extraordinary and distinguished leadership service on behalf of ophthalmology.

      >>>Tune In: WHUR 96.3 FM<<<

      Tune in to WHUR 96.3 FM at 7 p.m. today to hear Dr. Bryan Curry, cardiologist and assistant professor in the Department of Medicine at Howard University College of Medicine and Howard University Hospital, and WJLA Channel 7 news reporter Jennifer Donelan, 36, discuss Donelan’s near fatal heart attack seven weeks ago while doing a story for the station.

      >>>Professor E.
      Ethelbert Miller Leads Memoir Writing Workshop<<<

      The D.C. Area Writing Project has scheduled a memoir writing workshop with E. Ethelbert Miller, director of the Howard University African American Resource Center, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 6, at the Howard University Minor Building, 2400 Sixth St. NW, in Room 17.  Miller, an award-winning poet and literary activist, is the former chairman of the Humanities Council of Washington, D.C., and director of the Howard University African American Resource Center.  For information, go to http://www.howard.edu/schooleducation/programs/dcawp. To register, e-mail dcawp@... or call 202-806-7524.

      Want to stay connected to Howard University? Become a fan on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/HowardUniversity