Re: Disturbing Political Call

  • chuck_thies
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2010
      The Graham campaign has contacted MPD, the FBI and the FCC.

      These calls violate Federal law, in particular the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991.

      Regardless of local laws, the fed has some basic rules that apply to ALL automated calls. The TCPA states:

      "All artificial or prerecorded telephone messages (i) shall at the beginning of the message, state clearly the identity of the business, individuals, or other entity that is initiating the call, and (ii) shall, during or after the message, state clearly the telephone number or address of such business, other entity, or individual."

      http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/policy/TCPA-Rules.pdf

      The vile robo calls in question did not commence with the caller identifying herself, nor did the call reference an organization or other sponsoring entity.

      Chuck Thies

      --- In WardOneDC@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Hess <ahess@...> wrote:

      > Sara, my name is amanda hess, and I'm a reporter with tbd. I'm interested in writing an item on this phone call. Would you mind speaking with me about what the call said, your response etc? I'm out of town but could talk Monday night or Tuesday morning.
      >
      > Amanda
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Sep 4, 2010, at 1:27 PM, "Sara Akbar" <bai_sasa@...<mailto:bai_sasa@...>> wrote:
      >

      > I called the operator and all they could say is to put my phone on the do not call list.
      >
      > Sara Akbar
      > 202-491-8739 cell
      > Sent from my iPhone
      > Please excuse any typos.
      >
      > On Sep 4, 2010, at 1:16 PM, <mailto:barbaracameron@...> barbaracameron@...<mailto:barbaracameron@...> wrote:
      >

      > you should report the call to telephone company and police.

    • Sam Moore
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 2010
        This should be referred to the BOEE and any District authorities first.

        Sent from Mobile S.A.M.

        202 / 716-7611