Fw: Howard University Hospital Farmers' Market ......

  • SYLVIA ROBINSON
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2010

      Howard University Hospital Hosts Farmer's Market for Better Nutrition for Surrounding Community

      WASHINGTON (May 10) ? Fresh fruits and vegetables are a staple of a healthy diet. Unfortunately, in African-American communities where quality grocery stores are scarce, they are not always readily available.

      To help remedy that problem in Ward 1, Howard University Hospital is hosting a Farmers Market every Tuesday and Friday to make available everything from garden fresh grapes, peaches and nectarines to greens, broccoli and tomatoes.

      Beginning Tuesday, May 11, farmers from across the region will ply their wares every Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. and every Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the hospital courtyard.

      ?We want to promote healthy eating and lifestyles for the people in Ward 1,? said Davene White, director of Nursing Maternal Child Health and director of HUH CARES.

      ?We?re bringing in regional farmers from Pennsylvania and North Carolina who will be offering wonderful produce that is of the highest quality.  You won?t get this caliber in a grocery store.  Unfortunately, in so many of our neighborhoods residents don?t have access to this food because stores don?t offer it.  We?re trying to fill that gap.?

      Dr. Denia Tapscott, a bariatrician and program director for the Center for Wellness and Weight Loss Surgery, said the Farmer?s Market will provide a valuable service.

      ?As you know, obesity is a huge issue for the nation, and particularly for African Americans,? said Tapscott, whose center is being featured over the next twelve months in EBONY magazine.  ?One of the contributing factors to obesity is lack of good nutrients.

      ?Much of the food we eat doesn?t have the amount of vitamins we need to make us metabolically healthy, and that particularly happens when you don?t get the vitamins and nutrients from vegetables.

      ?Additionally, when we don?t get the fiber in our diets, we tend to be more hungry.  When you eat more fruits and vegetables, particularly vegetables because of the fiber, we feel more satiated.  Your calories are less and you are getting better nutrients.  That contributes to weight loss.?

      WIC and Senior CSFP vouchers are accepted.  For more information, call 202.865.4942.

      Contact:
      Ron Harris
      Director of Communications
      Office of University Communications
      202.683.0182

      .......Starting May 11th. 2010....

      Howard University Hospital Farmers' Market
      Fresh Produce & other items
      3pm - 7pm Tuesdays
      10 am -2pm  Friday
       for info call .. 202-865-4942 !

      FYI .... WEATHER PERMITTING !  ( ...ie rain)

      jacob

      Jacob Ortiz
      Associate Director
      Howard University Community Association