Fw: [columbia_heights] RE: your resignation as chair

  • Janisha Richardson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2010

      It's funny how some things change and some things stay the same.  When I was on the ANC we had the same problems as Cliff stated in his email.  The only difference is we had Officers that were willing to work and hold the commission together.  But, in doing that the Officers get burned out very quickly.  It's unfortunate that the other commissioners don't offer any support to the Officers.  I wish Cliff well and thank him for his service.

      Janisha

       Please see email below on why Cliff resigned as ANC 1A Chair:

      From: cliffvalenti@ hotmail.com
      To: emilyrc@hotmail. com; columbia_heights@ yahoogroups. com
      Subject: RE: your resignation as chair
      Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 11:28:42 -0400

      Well thank you very much.  Yes, I am still the ANC rep for 1A08 but I resigned as chair because the commission as a whole refuses to acknowledge roberts rules of order, bylaws, and standard operating procedures.  In fact, our secretary does not keep proper minutes or proper records.   I'd hoped that the secretary we elected in January would change that but its just par for the coarse and there isn't anything I can do about it.  On finances some commissioners take $50.00 a month in petty cash or rev up cell phone bills without justifying what the expense is really for (our rules do allow this, oddly), they get grants on the agenda but never follow up to see it is properly spent or receipts get turned in, and letters opposing or supporting various issues are voted on without the public even being able to review the information.  I try to stop this stuff from getting on the agenda but sense they ignore rules things just sail on.  Personally, being on the ANC has made me think ANC's should be abolished but on the other hand residents in this area don't pay enough attention to whats going on with the ANC so its to be expected.  I feel more productive using my time to do things in my community instead of planning for a meeting that turns into a circus every month.

      Thanks,
      Cliff

      From: emilyrc@hotmail. com
      To: cliffvalenti@ hotmail.com
      Subject: your resignation as chair
      Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 14:41:38 +0000

      Dear Cliff,

      I am one of your constituents, on the 700 block of Newton Pl. I want to thank you for the great job you are doing as our ANC rep. I read that you resigned as chair. I hope this does not mean you are resigning as our ANC Commissioner? Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help work through the current situation (of which I know absolutely nothing).

      thanks,
      Emily Citkowski