RE: [WarOf1812] gun laws

  • Maxine Trottier
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 5, 2001
      Someone was telling me about a piece in ""The Beaver" recently. I quote: "It
      appears as if gun registration is not a new issue in Canada. I was
      particularly interested in the fact that in the mid-19th century gun
      ownership was quite tightly controlled, however, with the Americans in
      ferment to the south, the government did not want all of us disarmed. They
      introduced something called <Certificates of Exemption>. In order to get
      one, you had to apply to a local Justice of the Peace in person, complete
      with references and sponsors. The certificate, once issued, exempted you
      from, I gather, most of the regulations."

      Comments? Is this still on the books?

      Max