Period atmosphere

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2001
      List members:
      I have come across a useful site to be found at:
      http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.mansfield1/paul001.html
      It is an indexing of newspapers from Somerset, England, including four
      between 1808 and 1814. They cover much of the West of England,
      including Devon. The creator of the index has listed all names found in
      the newspapers, and given a summary of the news item. Some things of
      interest to me:

      1. Lots of desertions from the East Devon Militia
      2. Reporting of a murder of a private from the 24th Foot
      3. A boy, 19 hanged for stealing 38 pounds in a highway robbery
      4. 'Young boys' being committed to jail, by a new magistrate
      5. An inordinate number of commercial bankruptcies
      6. A pauper woman who hanged herself - at the age of 90.
      7. My favourite - a man killed at a Methodist Meeting!!!

      This service provides a valuable glimpse into domestic life of the
      period in England, and also tells us what ordinary folk found
      interesting.
      Bookmark it, I found it fascinating.
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st CD